Does anybody know the history of Stanedge lodge?

rapido

Hi

Everytime I walk to Stanedge Pole I end up staring at the old huge house which you can from there, situated in the middle of the moor between Stanege and Moscar. I've been told that the house is called Stanedge Lodge but the name on the gate of the drive leading up to says Fairthorne Lodge (or manor, can't remember). Does anybody know any history on this place? I've googled it but can't seem to find anything substantial about it. What's it used for now? There's something very compelling about it. I'd love to hear from anybody who knows anything about it; any links to information sites would be especially appreciated. Thank you in advance for any responses :)

According to my brother it was built by the Duke of Newcastle as a shooting lodge he also owned Thoresby Hall as well.It is known as Fairthorne Lodge and and it was a home for sick and poor children.I can remember it as such in the 50s & 6os.I hope this helps.

Thank you very much for responding so quickly. This is very interesting because one of the few bits of info I have found out by googling is that someone was once walking up the drive and saw the figure of an 'old maid' stood at one of the upstairs windows. maybe it was one of the children's nurses he saw.:suspect: he said he legged it anyway :hihi:.

I've been reading a thread (not sure if it's off this forum or another local history one) and there seems to be a lot of confusion about Fairthorne Lodge. Many people have memories of going there from the late 20's to the 60's and some remember it as being at Dore and others at Redmires. The interesting bit is that some people referred to it as a convalescent home for sick children but others siad it was just a place where underpriveledged kids went for a couple of weeks for a holiday or to give their mums a break if they were having another baby. A further post said that fairthorne lodge is no longer at Redmires and it used to the the servants quarters for Stanage Lodge. I suspect that there might have been two Fairthorne Lodges. One at Dore and one at Redmires but one was a holiday home for kids and the other was for sick children.

A few of them spoke of a song that the kids sang there which included the line 'beware of the matron', maybe that was the old bag who the guy saw in the upstairs window that time. She sounds like she was a dragon.

I think it was 1996-ish I was teaching to drive, the wife of the couple, that had just bought it, she said it was an old shooting lodge. On one occasion I dropped her off there, the badly rutted drive seemed to go on for ever because we had to drive so slowly. Close up it was very foreboding, and looked quite run down. I seem to remember her saying that it had no laid on mains services, they had a generator for electricity and water was from a well. She said they were going to restore it.

She passed her test, and haven't seen her since, so I don't know how they went on with the restoration...would be interesting to know.

...I suspect that there might have been two Fairthorne Lodges. One at Dore and one at Redmires...

Quite right - Stanedge Lodge and Fairthorn Lodge are different buildings, about 2/3 mile apart overlooking the Redmires reservoirs. I don't know of any connection between them but Fairthorn Lodge was a place where sickly or malnourished children could go for a healthy experience of fresh air, exercise, good food etc. In the late 1940s the facilities were relocated to "Fairthorn Convalescent Home" just off Townhead Road, Dore, where it continued to provide the same facilities. It did an excellent job - my (underweight) brother spent some time there in the 1950s and he said it was one of the best holidays he ever had. It certainly didn't do him any harm - he's still going strong, an athletic six-footer of 70..:)

Quite right - Stanedge Lodge and Fairthorn Lodge are different buildings, about 2/3 mile apart overlooking the Redmires reservoirs. I don't know of any connection between them but Fairthorn Lodge was a place where sickly or malnourished children could go for a healthy experience of fresh air, exercise, good food etc. In the late 1940s the facilities were relocated to "Fairthorn Convalescent Home" just off Townhead Road, Dore, where it continued to provide the same facilities. It did an excellent job - my (underweight) brother spent some time there in the 1950s and he said it was one of the best holidays he ever had. It certainly didn't do him any harm - he's still going strong, an athletic six-footer of 70..:)

Thanks for clarifying that. Is the building of Fairthorn Lodge still at Redmires then or has it been demolished?

Thanks for clarifying that. Is the building of Fairthorn Lodge still at Redmires then or has it been demolished?
It is still there and can be seen on Google Earth (complete with solar panels on the roof!) I think it might have been divided into apartments like many such buildings.

Archived