Bank bailouts. Where's the money coming from?

Wel yes, release money into the economy as loans from banks. Which begs the question, why don't the gov. lend it themselves and make the profit for the treasury, thus reducing the deficit (something which they are apparently terribly keen to do.)

I suppose that would require the creation of a large government bureaucracy to make investment decisions. Who would decide where the money is invested?

If we are to rely on the commercial banking sector to create money, the best banks to entrust are those with triple bottom lines - those who actually think about the long term externalities of their investment decisions.

Not consciously. I'm still learning. Thatcher was a monetarist which puts me off. :)

You have to admit though, he was more pragmatic and objective than a lot of economists. He challenges you to judge policies on the basis of their outcome rather than their intention.

:thumbsup:

95% of money in circulation has been loaned into existence by commercial banks. Once people understand how this money is created they will understand why banks spend millions every year lobbying parliament to uphold this incredible privilege.

I think it's way worse than you describe. Credit creation is the key. Anything that is expected to be converted to money at some future point in time is accepted as money. Banks, shadow banks and other financial insitutions can create this outside of the control of central banks.

And that is a problem if the notional value of derivatives (created by financial institutions) is $600trillion, 10 times the entire annual output of the world economy. If the parties exposed to those trades decide to or are forced to deleverage those poisitions where is hundreds of trillions of dollars going to come from to cover them? The whole system is too big to bail out - banks need to keep the cycle turning because if it stops they will have to die. That is why they lobby so intensely.

I suppose that would require the creation of a large government bureaucracy to make investment decisions. Who would decide where the money is invested?

If we are to rely on the commercial banking sector to create money, the best banks to entrust are those with triple bottom lines - those who actually think about the long term externalities of their investment decisions.

Could they not have taken some of the banks they bailed out into public ownership and used existing structures?

I think it's way worse than you describe. Credit creation is the key. Anything that is expected to be converted to money at some future point in time is accepted as money. Banks, shadow banks and other financial insitutions can create this outside of the control of central banks.

And that is a problem if the notional value of derivatives (created by financial institutions) is $600trillion, 10 times the entire annual output of the world economy. If the parties exposed to those trades decide to or are forced to deleverage those poisitions where is hundreds of trillions of dollars going to come from to cover them? The whole system is too big to bail out - banks need to keep the cycle turning because if it stops they will have to die. That is why they lobby so intensely.

Interesting, thanks for the insight.

They could have taken some of the banks they bailed out into public ownership and used existing structures.

When you say public ownership do you mean on a decentralised, co-operative basis or full on state-owned nationalisation?

There are strong arguments for both, but there is always the chance of successive governments selling back into the hands of private shareholders for a quick buck, which the cynical among us would say will just start the whole destructive process again.

As long as our economy is dominated by banks that operate on the basis of a single bottom line, the problem will never go away and yet more problems will arise. Ethical banks are the future of a sustainable free market economy.

Archived