Energy companies increasing monthly payment when you're already in credit

We have recently cancelled our gas and electric direct debit because of this and now put money away each month ourselves to pay the bills when they come in.

Unfortunately in my experience, you get a discount by paying direct debit and a further discount for dual fuel.

The best method for me is to keep claiming it back from them.

How do they take extra money from an account without the holders permission, and signed authorisation.

Regards

Angel.

If you pay by direct debit you've already given permission. Standing orders were better in this respect but they've gone the way of all good things in the banking business.

Unfortunately in my experience, you get a discount by paying direct debit and a further discount for dual fuel.

The best method for me is to keep claiming it back from them.

Yes I know but we can't be bothered when they just keep upping the monthly payments, we would rather have the cash in our pockets and not have to ask them to refund it.

Direct debit.

Aye, I pay my rent by direct debit, when it went up recently the Council wrote to me giving all the whys and wherefores, but it was around about a month before the date of the payment - therefore giving me ample time to block such a rise in the direct debit if I had wished, or at least I assume that's what it was for.

Regards

Angel.

I've got a complaint running with my current supplier. I intend to extend it over a period of 8 weeks, which allows me to refer it to Ofgem.

Long story short, I'm £500 in credit and my supplier wants to put my monthly payment up by £80. Using their own estimates, which I've obtained, if I do that, they will owe me over £1000 by this time next year.

So, I've put a formal complaint in and asked them for a full justification. My next step will be to ask if this is company policy (it is). I'll get them over the 8 week line and pass my complaint on to Ofgem.

Anyone else care to join me?

I am £774-00 in credit and you want to see the performance I am having trying to get it back.I phoned up twice and they said "oh yes you can have it back straight away" then after a couple of days they said I had never had my meter read for 2 years,I have only been with them 1year.They have been and read it twice,the last time was in June.The upshot of it is that they are sending a meter reader out on the 12th Nov. Good old Npower.

I too was fed up with my energy company doing this. I switched to "Utility Warehouse" and I read my own meter every month, send them the readings on line, and then get a bill for the exact amount of energy I have used. Both gas and electric on the same bill too - no messing. I pay a lot less too than i have been paying the other company.

But, if you don't want to switch companies, just tell them you are not going to pay the extra, as you are in credit! - if they don't like it, tell them to lump it!

Archived