WESTWAY rock night...GET OFF YOUR BUTTS

goldenfleece

Tuesday nights, cheap Newcastle Brown ale, classic rock, what more could you want?? Correct answer is....NOTHING....so no excuses, be there or be extremely rectangular.....

If you read any of the other 'rock' related threads, you will have heard about it, so give it a try tonight. Dont care if you are bathing the dog, polishing the budgie, paying 27 mortgages, saving for your 2009 holiday, its too cold, too hot, too damp, too wet, no buses, no taxis, no clean clothes,etc, its very brave to start new rock nights on a night with no follow on club nights anywhere, so use it or lose it.

There, spread the word.......

and let me just add here the rock night/quiz in the Red house as well, so TWO different rock related events to choose from....WHO COULD ASK FOR MORE????

Originally posted by sallie

Heard of most of them, but what is space rock!!?:confused: anyone know!?

Space rock is a style of music; the term originally referred to a group of early mostly British 1970s progressive rock and psychedelic bands like Pink Floyd and Hawkwind, though it now tends to refer to a series of late 1980s British alternative rock bands. This style is characterized by shimmering, melodic sounds, often with copious drug and science fiction references (such as pioneers Spacemen 3's legendary quotation: "taking drugs to make music to take drugs to").

The science fiction author Michael Moorcock collaborated with Hawkwind on many occasions: the Hawkwind track "The Black Corridor", for example, included verbatim quotes from Moorcock's novel of the same name. An album The New Worlds Fair by "Michael Moorcock and the Deep Fix" was released in 1975, which included a number of Hawkwind regulars in the credits. ("The Deep Fix" was the title story of an obscure collection of short stories by "James Colvin" published in the 1960s). Moorcock wrote the lyrics to an album track entitled "Black Blade", referring to the sword Stormbringer in the Elric books, by the American band Blue Öyster Cult: Moorcock has even performed this song live with BÖC.

By the early 1990s, mainly British alternative rock genres like space rock, twee pop, shoegazing and noise pop emerged into the mainstream with the explosion of Britpop bands like Blur, Suede and Oasis.

How did it go at the westway last night, anyone get the chance to go? I really wanted to get down but couldnt get back to Sheffield in time:( , definately be down next week!!:) , try and round up some mates!!:)

Sallie, you need to fetch a COACHLOAD from your area, was it Hackenthorpe? Hmmmm, it was a very quiet night, no doubt due to the freezing sub zero artic temperatures. I think there were max of 5 or 6 people in at the height (not inc the private party going on upstairs) so plenty of room for improvement. We also wandered down to the Red House to check out Buffy's new rock quiz disco and the inclement weather had also had a similar effect on the population. Now when I say inclement weather it was simply...well cold, no rain, no snow, no gales, just a bit nippy, so the word inclement perhaps too strong. Fleece weather....that was it.

Me thinks all rockers stayed at home with a hot chinese takeway and were toasting their toes around a blazing log fire and watching 'Making Slough happy' or some other mind numbing TV programme. Disappointed with the turn outs.......we go to all the trouble of wrapping up and standing at cold cold bus stops, and no one else seems to give a ****.

Sheffield has to be THE most perculiar City for its unpredictable and LAZY rock crowd......prove me wrong......

oh dear, not much better than last week then, got a feeling it doesnt matter what the weather is like, if it was the height of summer it would be too hot!! . Dont know about a coachload but see what i can do, got about 5 or 6 people that say they will come down but im pretty sure that number will rapidly decrease by tuesday and all the excuses you have mentioned will flood in thick n fast!!!. Will try my best though!!:)

oh dear, not much better than last week then, got a feeling it doesnt matter what the weather is like, if it was the height of summer it would be too hot!! . Dont know about a coachload but see what i can do, got about 5 or 6 people that say they will come down but im pretty sure that number will rapidly decrease by tuesday and all the excuses you have mentioned will flood in thick n fast!!!. Will try my best though!!:)

Oh PLEEEEZE do....the more the merrier, we can all sit round a big oak table in front of a roaring fire and eat roasted chestnuts.......well, the equivalent of anyway.

Yes, the excuses I listed seem to be rolling in already for TONIGHT as well, top 3 as of 9am this morning for going down tonight to the cheese rock night are, in order of pathetic-ness,

1) Cant have a bad head for work, the boss is doing a check on timekeeping and people falling asleep at their computers...wearing mirror shades doesn't work anymore (WTF?)

2) dont think my clothes will be dry as the tumble drier broke, been in damp clothes all week..... (bad)

3) West what? WFT is that? Is that up West Bar? (beyond belief)

SIGH.....I tried......well I am going down anyway as going to see Treebeard live at West Street live later on........

Archived