Martial Arts for kids/general advice

mikey

Originally posted by sleepingcat

A knife is not threat to martial artist but the attacker.

That is just rubbish - even somebody who's untrained in knife use stands a very good chance of cutting or stabbing you.

We learn some knife defences in Ju-Jitsu but the overwhelming advice from just about everyone is - when faced with a knife, RUN.

Somebody who *is* trained in knife use is most likely going to have cut or stabbed you before you even realise that they're armed.

Originally posted by Mike

That is just rubbish - even somebody who's untrained in knife use stands a very good chance of cutting or stabbing you.

We learn some knife defences in Ju-Jitsu but the overwhelming advice from just about everyone is - when faced with a knife, RUN.

Somebody who *is* trained in knife use is most likely going to have cut or stabbed you before you even realise that they're armed.

Your 100% right Mike. A professional knife attacker will not display his weapon until the moment of insertion.

An expert in knife fighting will rarely use over head shots. The more likely approach is to grab hold of you before sticking the blade into you.

I was also told that a penetration of only 1 inch can be deadly (i.e. reach internal organ ... think lung was mentioned).

A small blade could easily be concealed in the palm of a hand ... and an attacker may approach you in a friendly smiling manner.

I don't have much experience of street violence (thank goodness) ... but I am very sure it's a lot different to the training hall and the movies.

i used to be in gangs around my home town so have seen quite abit of violence, the greatest way to win a fight is not to fight at all.so tryin to talk someone out of a fight is a good idea, so is running away, but if you are with someone (gfrend/bfrend/mates)you cant all run at the same speed and i'd feel so bad if i left one of my mates behind with me knowing more how to defend myself than him, the best idea of any martial art should be avoidance and interception, kill the arms, if you think of the knife as a knife you are dead, treat it with contempt, we train quite abit in this field, and of course every confrontation will differ.

for everyones benefit if you are in a situation the basics of basics if the attacker is male, go for the throat and the groin, no matter how big/powerfull they are they will be down which gives you all a chance to get away, or take a hit, let him stab you in the hand then grab then at least you control the knife while you beat him down.

After running trying to reason with an attacker would be my next option, after that it would be relying on what I had learned for survival. Fortunately most attackers whom are armed do not know how to utilize their weapon effectively. However, this doesn't mean that they are to be under estimated. Someone waving a blade around are most likely using it for intimidation and will not be experienced. You can learn alot from studying the stance of an attacker, their grip on the weapon will limit how they might use it and slashing around could show their desired targets. An attack I would consider would be a swift side kick to the side of the knee, if this managed to connect then he will fall over giving me options to run or finish. I'd never go for the knife direct but I would be constantly aware of what the knife was doing while delivering my own counters.

Originally posted by Lickszz

After running trying to reason with an attacker would be my next option, after that it would be relying on what I had learned for survival. Fortunately most attackers whom are armed do not know how to utilize their weapon effectively. However, this doesn't mean that they are to be under estimated. Someone waving a blade around are most likely using it for intimidation and will not be experienced. You can learn alot from studying the stance of an attacker, their grip on the weapon will limit how they might use it and slashing around could show their desired targets. An attack I would consider would be a swift side kick to the side of the knee, if this managed to connect then he will fall over giving me options to run or finish. I'd never go for the knife direct but I would be constantly aware of what the knife was doing while delivering my own counters.

No offense, but if the guy is attacking you, I doubt he has the intelligence to be "reasoned with".

Remember, most people who attack members of the public randomly are either high or ratarsed, or both.

Well, I happen to know different. It's true that I have managed to talk a person out of using a knife by reiterating the possible consequences of using it (Jail, for a very long time). This was not a pre-emptive attack but was a spontaneous reaction that had escalated; The attacker was someone who had a personal grudge. The person had managed to get their hands on an impressive knife that was in the vicinity. You have to understand that not everybody who brandishes a knife will use it; many can't, don't or won't use it. In this particular case I was confident the guy had only grabbed the knife because it was there and was unlikely to use it. The fact that I managed to verbally defuse the conflict proves that I was right about him not been prepared to use it. If the circumstances would have been different, like he was backed up by more people then I may have chosen a more direct approach - sparking him out with the nearest heavy object, bearing in mind that I was cornered and had nowhere to run.

My philosophy against weapon attacks will always depend on the circumstances. My primary option will always be running away if possible, then if I thought it was possible to reason with the guy I'd try it, if not then I'd be relying on what I had learned to see me through.

ps - Not every armed attack is going to be a random one, in some situations you may know who the person brandishing a knife is. What I'm saying is that circumstances vary as to why someone would be trying to attack you.

I would like to make my points clearly below:

1) Rich referred to "Anybody" not specifically referred to Mikey's 12 year old daughter in his reply. I agree totally with Jack's comment that it would be unwise for a girl at that age with no martial art training or even with training confronting an attacker with a knife.

2) When I was reading Rich's reply, I felt his comment was very discouraging to anyone who wants to learn self-defence or martial arts. One must ask what is the purpose of martial arts training if he cannot protect himself after years of training. It would be a wast of time and money, isn't it?

3) Thridly, I am not encouraging martial artists to fight (in fact a good martial artist would preferred not to fight) but only in a situation where there is no other option (meaning you cannot run or get rid of the attacker by talking) or life is in danger. This is what I said in my last reply. I would aviod a fight if I could but I am not frighten for a fight if needed.

4) Lastly, please remember the question that Mikey asked. He was asking for martial art advice for his 12 year old daughter. Now Rich is suggesting that martial art skills are useless in real confrontational situation and the only way for survival is to run.

What is going to happen if you cannot run? It would be a big blow to Mikey if what Rich said were true. I know some readers have martial arts training in one form or another, please ask yourself how confident are you in a confrontational situation. Mikey needs your advice from bottom of your hearts.

Rich, no offence, it is just a discussion.

Sleepingcat

As much as I realise that martial arts is used for self defence, when I used to do Karate, up to about 10 years ago, I did it mainly for the exercise and social aspect, you know hanging about and having a drink with the lads after the lesson etc...

All I was saying was that if you are up against an aggressive attacker, some times the best self defence is not to use Karate or whatever on him, but to take yourself away from the situation, this is not however, a display of cowardice or being a "chicken", it is simply common sense, especially if the aggressor is bigger and stronger than you, which in my case is more often than not the case as I'm short for my age at only 5' 5".

I apologise for not explaining my thoughts and comments in more detail during my original posts.

Archived