Martial Arts for kids/general advice

mikey

Recomended places!

Muay Thai: Wicker Camp on Effingham Road - I dont know the phone number offhand but plenty of people from here go so they should be able to fill you in.

JKD/Escrima: Talk to Mark Hayes - he is on the Sheffield Forum under the name jay_kd

Judo: look in the yellow pages! I know its a sport but for a realistic self defence sports are often the best thing as they teach you what works and what doesnt in as close to a realistic as is possible to get without killing people! The universities both have Judo clubs and should be happy with non-students.

Shoot Fighting: The 393 club at Hillsborough is the only place I know that does shootfighting - they are worth looking at through as they have plenty of martial arts clubs. At one point (and maybe still currently) they were running a silat club which is well worth looking into.

Boxing: I've heard good things about Koncrete Canvas - they are up at Castle Court.

That should be a start for you :)

:) mr abdulla teaches lou gar kung fu, (5 animals) and is a very good instructor, if you are looking for wing chun then look no further than carlisle street at the sheffield kung fu wing chun centre, with sifu richard, might be abit to travel (93 bus route) but deff worth it, DONT goto the one in ponds forge, unless you want to buy a tracksuit a passport and jumpers and **** b4 you join.

as battouchan sai has said you could try budo taijutsu, it doesnt so much as combine everything, as we learn 9 different schools, throwing, locking, striking, ground work, and you dont need to get bigger as it is technique that you will need to work on not becoming like the hulk. but there is no competitions if you are looking for that.

or there is shoot fighting at 393 boys club where graham abdullas brother adie also teaches kick boxing.

:)

Hi Stickman, i would say go and try a few and go and watch see how the class is run,i'm sure you will find something that suits you, don't let the distance put you off from training in some thing that you want to, i used to travel about 50 miles on a sunday morning to train with my first JKD instructor Dave Carnell in stoke on trent,(did that for 18 months) the next one was 110 ten miles, now i travel to the USA to train with my instructors(i'm back over in a few weeks) hope you find what you are looking for.

p.s the tram stops outside where i teach

maybe see you soon

Mark

Originally posted by Stickman

What's the address of the 393 boys club? where is it? I would REALLY like to have a look at silat!

393 Langset Road

Let me know if you are planning on going out there - its something I keep telling myself I will go look at but never get round to, slacker that I am!!!

from what i know, (friends that do the kick boxing, it isnt like that at all, )

but thats my friends opinions, there is a tkd class b4 us on wed nights at croft house settlements, and because we get to talk to them, they are cool, no kids, jus people learnin the sport :) maybe give that a try?

thanks for the posts everyone.

I was impressed by the gracie MMA place, I think I'll keep going there, although it is a bit pricey, I think it's worthwhile, they have a good club over there.

I also went to look at wing chun on london road chinese community centre, they were all really nice, and the sifu is great, I'd like to keep that up too as wing chun always appealed to me, but I cant afford that AND the MMA - so how will I choose?!?! :-)

I am DEFINATELY going to go an have a look at silat at the boys club too - what time should I go? when do they have classes?

thanks everyone,

Stickman! :-)

Archived