Who remembers their first teabag.

Toproud

Its my understanding that tea bags were first being used in the 1950s in the UK . Were you posh and started using them then? I cannot remember having tea bags until maybe the early 1970s? Perhaps they were to expensive until they were mass produced (for our family anyway)

My grandpa, on encountering his first teabag, neatly snipped the corner off the bag, and poured the contents into the teapot to "mash" the tea.

"Ooh!" he said, "these are just handy, they hold just the right amount for putting a teaspoon of tea into the pot!"

Its my understanding that tea bags were first being used in the 1950s in the UK . Were you posh and started using them then? I cannot remember having tea bags until maybe the early 1970s? Perhaps they were to expensive until they were mass produced (for our family anyway)

I started work as a van lad then as a driver for INGRAMS TEA MERCANTS around 1965 we were situated on Ecclesall rd our competitor Ringtons tea (people still get them mixed up) were based on Peter st Grimesthorpe INGRAMS if my memory serves me well did not start to sell TEA BAGS until around 1968 folk were so suspicious of anything new all INGRAMS TEA was blended and packaged on the premises and delivered door to door to around an 80 mile radius of Sheffield I had on my round some well known people of that era Freddy Truman (cricketer) Viv Nicholson (pools winner) to name two if anyone else had INGRAMS TEA delivered to their door any feed back would be most welcome personally I have NOT drunk tea since 1965 but that is another story :gag: .

I started work as a van lad then as a driver for INGRAMS TEA MERCANTS around 1965 we were situated on Ecclesall rd our competitor Ringtons tea (people still get them mixed up) were based on Peter st Grimesthorpe INGRAMS if my memory serves me well did not start to sell TEA BAGS until around 1968 folk were so suspicious of anything new all INGRAMS TEA was blended and packaged on the premises and delivered door to door to around an 80 mile radius of Sheffield I had on my round some well known people of that era Freddy Truman (cricketer) Viv Nicholson (pools winner) to name two if anyone else had INGRAMS TEA delivered to their door any feed back would be most welcome personally I have NOT drunk tea since 1965 but that is another story :gag: .

Great reply Jack, come on you must tell us why you gave up tea?

When tea bags became available it was said they contained the sweepings up off the floor.

If I was told to go and mash, when I was an apprentice ( so called), I used to put about four in a mashing can. I was very popular. I remember one guy putting a bag in his mouth and taking sips of hot water. Bloody thicko. This was on the buildings.

Nothing to do with teabags, but the same guy would buy fish and chips one dinnertime, eat the fish and save the chips for the day after. You've got to laugh.

When tea bags became available it was said they contained the sweepings up off the floor.

If I was told to go and mash, when I was an apprentice ( so called), I used to put about four in a mashing can. I was very popular. I remember one guy putting a bag in his mouth and taking sips of hot water. Bloody thicko. This was on the buildings.

Nothing to do with teabags, but the same guy would buy fish and chips one dinnertime, eat the fish and save the chips for the day after. You've got to laugh.

He sounds like a proper pie-can!

Archived