Who remembers their first teabag.

Toproud

Tea bags first showed up around 1954 in our "mashin's" at work, and before that sliced bread, around 1951. Didn't taste as good, but was a big hit because of the convenience.

Thanks for the dates of tea bags and sliced bread being available, been racking my brains to try to remember when sliced bread had arrived.

My grandpa, on encountering his first teabag, neatly snipped the corner off the bag, and poured the contents into the teapot to "mash" the tea.

"Ooh!" he said, "these are just handy, they hold just the right amount for putting a teaspoon of tea into the pot!"

I don't remember exactly when they came out, but my Dad used to pour the tea-bag into his pint pot. Then he'd mash it in there, they'd be tea leaves floating on top. I would show my disgust, and he would laugh and say that they were lovely to chew on while drinking his tea. :gag:

I don't remember exactly when they came out, but my Dad used to pour the tea-bag into his pint pot. Then he'd mash it in there, they'd be tea leaves floating on top. I would show my disgust, and he would laugh and say that they were lovely to chew on while drinking his tea. :gag:

in the early 70s i used to drive a bin lorry for the council and each week we would empty the large bins at the old allambra/silver blades skating rink on queens road and the boss there used to give us about a dozen catering sized tea bags for a tip,they were the size of an envelope and very strong tea-the only person on the wagon who could drink it was an old binman and he would put one of these tea bags in one of those little old enamel mashin cans and sit and drink it in the mess room before we went out on the bin round every morning---NO SUGAR OR MILK-it was jet black and the spoon stood up on its own in it-Yuuuk.:gag:

Thanks for the dates of tea bags and sliced bread being available, been racking my brains to try to remember when sliced bread had arrived.

I guess it was the beginning of the end for "reading the tea leaves". (All families had at least one in those days).

Also put and end to another tradition - biting the corners off the fresh baked bread on the way home from the shops. Gunstones was the favourite - never bothered with Fletchers.

ugh! yuck, I absolutely hate tea leaves in the bottom of the cup.

Great reply Jack, come on you must tell us why you gave up tea?

Hi Everyone

Here goes the reason why I gave up drinking tea you must remember (NO) health & safety ruleling the world in the 60s as I said I started out at Ingrams as a van lad on Fridays it was a limited delivery day so the van lads washed the vans in the mornings and in the afternoons would do general duties around the factory one of the said jobs would be to blend the tea in the blending room which was situated on the top floor of the building this room was a very tiny room with no windows or ventilation the only way any air got into the room was through the open door inside this room was a large tumbler which was like a giant washing machine/drier which could hold around 6 to 8 tea chests of tea the said tea chests of different teas would be placed inside the room and tipped into the drum one at a time after a set cycle of turns until all had been blended together on the outside of the door was a good old fashioned bolt as you can now guess the practical jokers on the staff would close the door and lock you in and no matter how hard you banged to get out no one could hear you by being on the top floor also the noise of the tumbler defend the cry for help try to imagine the dust in that room from the tea as a indication get a plain white sheet of paper and ONE TEA BAG and hit the paper two or three times to see how much dust comes from it then you will get the picture NOW for the reason I DONT drink TEA if you required to go to the toilet and could NOT GET OUT where else could you relieve yourself other than into the TEA in the tea chests be it a NUMBER 1 or a NUMBER 2 like I said at the start of my explanation Health & Safety have now stepped in some might say THANK GOD I do hope that explains WHY I DONT DRINK TEA ANYMORE such HAPPY DAYS :o :hi hi: .

Archived