Utility vehicle advice 4x4 etc please.

I am not a motor buff by any means, and need some help please !

I want a vehicle that is a bit 'rough and tumble' if you like. My missus has a horse, I hike a lot in the Welsh Hills, and we have a medium sized dog. Therefore I want to sell my hatchback and get something that allows us to throw in our camping gear, rucksacks, the dog and on occasions bags of horse feed etc etc. And maybe even put the seats down and try and sleep in it if necessary. I have around 3.5k to spend, but not sure what to go for. My mechanic mate says stay away from Ford Mavericks/Nissan Terranos, but go for an old Land Rover Discovery instaed - any thoughts appreciated.

You probably won't get a defender under 20 years old for that kind of money so if I were you I'd go for the terrano, which I've good things about.a disco wouldn't be that old but I'm not sure I'd bother - it wouldn't be a good one for 3.5k. If you don't need 4 seats by a pick up with a truckman top and you could sleep in that, load area would be about 7ft long. If you do need 4 seats get a 4 seat pickup but you couldn't sleep in the back.you'd get a 53 or newer if your lucky. If you don't need 4wd, buy a small van, more room, probably more economical.

Could probably get a Daihatsu Fourtrak for well within that price range, and according to some horse riding sites and forums they are very good for towing boxes and stuff

Defenders or Discos would be my first choice but you'd probably have to work on it quite a bit to keep it up to the job

The biggest concern for 4x4's is repairs.

I researched Daihatsus - parts aren't cheap although the vehicles are sturdy. We had a Mitsubisihi L200 and parts are extortionate for everything.

After 5 years of Sportage ownership i've bought a Landrover Freelander, even worse case scenario on the 1.8 petrol model its £200 for a head gasket job. It was £200 for the front shockers on the Sportage after 5 years of towing.Its in excess of £200 for two tyres for a CRV type pretend 4x4, to make it roadworthy in anything bur dry weather.

Defenders are mind blowingly noisy on lengthy runs.

• 1 month later...

Discovery's and jeeps return decent fuel economy. I've just bought a Cherokee grand for that money and I love it, although they aren't everyones cup of tea and I did buy it due to opportunity rather than going out looking for one. I think I'd buy a discovery if I went out to buy something with cash in hand due to reasonably priced parts, capability and fuel economy.

Dunno why your mechanic says steer clear of Mavericks/Terranos. I had an N reg Maverick and apart from some welding because of age it was 100% reliable. It's a Nissan after all. Not the quickest or quietest but it took me around Devon and Cornwall for 3weeks touring 2 years in a row with no problems at all. I have heard horror stories about Disco's re reliability and oil leaks and rust etc. I have even had friends with frontera's which have been better than disco's!! the subaru forester is a great suggestion.

Archived