Do girls really like a bad boy?

Got to say the daughter has been out with a few I'd happily take a pick axe handle to with very little or no prompting. Thankfully, she now seems to have got a good 'un. The pick axe handle always remains an option though...

I think some people, of both sexes, (I mean of either sex!) are attracted to others for reasons that we might suppose are the wrong reasons.

I've known a number of females who seem at least to be attracted to a man because he exhibits dominance and stands out from the herd. That dominance could mean that he's a troublemaker or bad boy whatever you want to call him - but he is clearly an alpha male type and gets noticed and a certain type of woman seems attracted to them. These type of women, to me, appear to be low in their own self-esteem.

There are some blokes as well who are scared to death of confident women, probably because they have low self-esteem as well. It may even be the same blokes with low self esteem who are acting out the role of the bad guy. They are desperate for attention and they only know one way of getting it - and that's to be disruptive in some way.

In this sense, women and men with low self-esteem attract and deserve each other.

So the answer, I think, is...

Yes, some girls really do like a bad boy - and they usually end up with one too.

I have two theories:

Some women may relish the challenge of turning the bad boy into a "nice" boy, especially if he has enough good qualities to make the effort worthwhile.

Some women are genuinely submissive and like the man to take control of the relationship. The alpha male "bad boy" will likely be able to fulfill this role.

I have two theories:

Some women may relish the challenge of turning the bad boy into a "nice" boy, especially if he has enough good qualities to make the effort worthwhile.

Some women are genuinely submissive and like the man to take control of the relationship. The alpha male "bad boy" will likely be able to fulfill this role.

The ultimate bad boy syndrome is the utterly bizarre phenomenon of women romancing and falling for lifers and men on death row, who have committed heinous crimes, often sex ones. An extreme I know, but all of the above apply. I also wonder if the sexual fantasy of being with these guys adds an extra frisson, in a similar way that auto-erotic asphyxiation does as you're dicing with death.

Archived