Baton rounds on hand so that protesters can be shot if needs be.

Would you care to suggest some?

The standard riot control techniques that all police are trained in. Plenty on the net - look it up.

They certainly shouldn't be relying on a small number of weapons-trained officers. Or do you think they should be?

That doesn't need to be made in this instance. There's no such thing as 'just a threat' when it starts interfering with people's willingness to protest lawfully.

Baton rounds would only be used on those who break the law.

I will be working in the City tomorrow and I expect the police to protect me while I go about my lawful business. The protesters have a right to protest, they do not have a right to enter private premises, damage property or attack people.

Provided people behave, there will be no need for the police to do anything other than direct the traffic. If people do not behave, then they need to face the consequences.

I wonder whether people who are saying the police are wrong to be prepared for the worse would be saying the same if they had been caught up in the rioting, or if they were the person who had a fire extinguisher thrown at them from the roof of a building?

Baton rounds would only be used on those who break the law.

I will be working in the City tomorrow and I expect the police to protect me while I go about my lawful business. The protesters have a right to protest, they do not have a right to enter private premises, damage property or attack people.

Provided people behave, there will be no need for the police to do anything other than direct the traffic. If people do not behave, then they need to face the consequences.

I wonder whether people who are saying the police are wrong to be prepared for the worse would be saying the same if they had been caught up in the rioting, or if they were the person who had a fire extinguisher thrown at them from the roof of a building?

I'm not saying they shouldn't be prepared for extremes. See earlier posts. They normally are anyway.

You will not need to be defended by police armed with baton rounds tomorrow. So don't worry.

Are you saying that if somebody tries to unlawfully enter a building they should be taken out with a baton round?

I'm not saying they shouldn't be prepared for extremes. See earlier posts. They normally are anyway.

You will not need to be defended by police armed with baton rounds tomorrow. So don't worry.

This person might have been grateful for the police being on hand to defend him.

Are you saying that if somebody tries to unlawfully enter a building they should be taken out with a baton round?

It depends. If it's one person, or a group of people acting peacefully, then no. If it's a mob whose behaviour causes danger to the occupants, then yes, without a doubt.

It really depends on whether we trust the police to use force that is reasonable and proportionate in the circumstances.

And yes, I am aware of Ian Tomlinson, so understand that the police don't always get it right.

This person might have been grateful for the police being on hand to defend him.

It depends. If it's one person, or a group of people acting peacefully, then no. If it's a mob whose behaviour causes danger to the occupants, then yes, without a doubt.

It really depends on whether we trust the police to use force that is reasonable and proportionate in the circumstances.

And yes, I am aware of Ian Tomlinson, so understand that the police don't always get it right.

I can't understand then why baton rounds have had to be used relatively infrequently in mainland Britain. What do you think has changed? Why are people so scared of these protestors that they want them to be shot?

I can't understand then why baton rounds have had to be used relatively infrequently in mainland Britain. What do you think has changed? Why are people so scared of these protestors that they want them to be shot?

Personally I am grateful that baton rounds have not been used often. I think there have been very few situations where their use would have been justified, and on the rare occasions where they would, they probably weren't available in time.

I'm no more scared of these protesters than any others.

I don't see the harm in the police (or whoever published the story) saying 'if you break the law, this is a possible consequence'.

I don't see the harm in the police (or whoever published the story) saying 'if you break the law, this is a possible consequence'.

The harm is that the police are there to police, not to scare people away from freely protesting. All it shows they are scared they can't police things normally. Epic miscalculation.

Archived