Baton rounds on hand so that protesters can be shot if needs be.

I have madeupwordophobia.

http://phobialist.com/

A phobia is an irrational fear or hatred of something so a list would require continuous updates as people develop phobias for things not on the list. If someone as a phobia for something not on the list then a ward would need to be created. Someone would always be the first person to use the ward.

Bogyphobia- Fear of bogeys or the bogeyman.

Note how sometimes the item of fear is just put in front of phobia.

So if you have an irrational fear or hatred of made up wards and a phobia doesn’t already exist to cover it then madeupwordophobia would be a good ward to use to describe your condition

French policing is quite different. Greater numbers, different command mechanisms (ours is better, more decentralised), national police, gendarmes, firearms etc.. You should read up on it some time.
:D

I know it well, I've helped C&C it (regionally) for a full year, including protest policing (and riot control). The joys of national service and unexpected friends in unexpectedly-high places.

(I'd like to think-) I also know a reasonable bit about UK policing, both as a now long-time resident of the UK and as a brother in law of mine, whom I know well and see often, has been in the force for a long time now.

I'm still waiting for you to explain in what way is policing quite different between France the UK? In particular, within the context of this thread.

Nobody could say the legal right to protest in the UK has been reduced. That right is still there. I've never said it wasn't. However, the right to protest without fear has been interfered with because of the pre-announcements by the Met.
What is this right?

And, admitting for a second that it exists (for the sake of the argument), would you not agree that violent protesters have been a worse fear-inducing element for an awful longer time, than cops with tear gas/CS/tasers/baton rounds hidden away until called upon?

:D

I know it well, I've helped C&C it (regionally) for a full year, including protest policing (and riot control). The joys of national service and unexpected friends in unexpectedly-high places.

(I'd like to think-) I also know a reasonable bit about UK policing, both as a now long-time resident of the UK and as a brother in law of mine, whom I know well and see often, has been in the force for a long time now.

I'm still waiting for you to explain in what way is policing quite different between France the UK? In particular, within the context of this thread.

What is this right?

And, admitting for a second that it exists (for the sake of the argument), would you not agree that violent protesters have been a worse fear-inducing element for an awful longer time, than cops with tear gas/CS/tasers/baton rounds hidden away until called upon?

You should read more widely. February this year French gendarmes used tear gas on protesting pensioners. Look it up.

The right is the freedom of assembly. Police can restrict this right of course but there has to be a clear reason to do it and the restriction should be proportionate to the risk. There was no need to make an announcement about baton rounds for a relatively small scale student protest. It was disproportionate and the police quickly realised this. A perhaps unintended consequence is that people who would have protested peacefully were deterred from doing so because of an element of fear created by the police.

Violent protestors do induce fear. That is why they do what they do. But it is not the job of the police to induce fear - that is the key point.

I don't see it as the police inducing fear, infact you could easily say that by having the option of setting a police dog on someone is inducing fear.

The fact is if the protesters take part in a peaceful protest and get there message across without the need to take part in criminal activity then they shouldn't have any reason to be fearful.

The fact is if the protesters take part in a peaceful protest and get there message across without the need to take part in criminal activity then they shouldn't have any reason to be fearful.

Unless of course the police announce in advance that they are pre-authorised to use baton rounds. Remember, the vast majority of protestors are peaceful. No threat. Not criminals. Get it? ;)

Unless of course the police announce in advance that they are pre-authorised to use baton rounds. .........

He was asked specifically about baton rounds by a reporter.

His answer was then touted around by all and sundry in a scaremongering fashion.

Get it? ;)

He was asked specifically about baton rounds by a reporter.

His answer was then touted around by all and sundry in a scaremongering fashion.

Get it? ;)

It was a massive mistake however it entered the public domain. Subsequently repeated by senior politicians. I'm never going to feel sorry for somebody who is led on so easily by a reporter.

I can't say it any better than this chap:

"The president of the Association of Chief Police Officers, Sir Hugh Orde, who deployed plastic bullets while serving in Northern Ireland, spoke out against the use of baton rounds after the disorder. He said: "I do not think it would be sensible in any way shape or form to deploy water cannon or baton rounds in London. Baton rounds are very serious bits of equipment. I would only deploy them in life-threatening situations. What is happening in London is not an insurgency that is going to topple the country."

Do you get that?

Unless of course the police announce in advance that they are pre-authorised to use baton rounds. Remember, the vast majority of protestors are peaceful. No threat. Not criminals. Get it? ;)

And even i wouldn't be happy with the police if baton rounds where used on people taking part in a non violent peaceful protest. Now if a small element of them decide to use the protest as an excuse to go on the rampage smashing up central london, then the police should have every option available to them to deal with it and if that means popping off a few baton rounds at them, so be it.

And even i wouldn't be happy with the police if baton rounds where used on people taking part in a non violent peaceful protest. Now if a small element of them decide to use the protest as an excuse to go on the rampage smashing up central london, then the police should have every option available to them to deal with it and if that means popping off a few baton rounds at them, so be it.

You can't shoot people for smashing up property. It'll never happen as much as you would want it to. So get over it.

You can't shoot people for smashing up property. It'll never happen as much as you would want it to. So get over it.

Oh believe me I have nothing to get over, I know fully well it will never happen in this country, but if it ever did, I would have no problem with it at all.

What would be your response to acts of mindless violence like smashing up central London all in the name of protest, oh yeah just stand by and let them do it. No doubt afterwards give them a hug and say please stop been a naughty boy.

Archived