Baton rounds on hand so that protesters can be shot if needs be.

I think we have a bit of a schism here - there are those who think the way the police behaved towards Mr Tomlinson (striking him from behind while his hands were in his pockets) was acceptable and those who don't.

I think it was unnaceptable, what about you Bassy?

He should have left the area when told to do so instead he drunkenly ambled about obstructing the police in a riot situation.

Not evidence but I've a right to an opinion just as Halibut has a right to his misguided opinion.

If you can answer the question - 'was Mr Tomlinson presenting a threat to the officer?' and explain what you think that threat was, I'll happily concede that I'm misguided.

Indeed, but was he presenting a threat to the officer that struck him?
Unless we're stood in the boots of the officer on the ground at the time, we can't say.

Tomlinson was obstructing them - that's an offence and it's plenty of reason to get physical with him. If somebody obstructs the Police, they should expect to be dealt with. He deliberately blocked their path and instead of moving clear when instructed, just sauntered as slowly and provocatively as he could, making it clear he was not going to willingly follow their instructions but continue to get in their way - he got what he asked for.

In a riot situation, where the Police have to step up the game to keep crowds and awkward members of the public from getting carried away, a bit more physical control than usual is not just likely, but required.

Unless we're stood in the boots of the officer on the ground at the time, we can't say.

Absolute piffle. You've seen the video the same as I had. Tomlinson - aside from the fact that his back was to the officer and he had his hands in his pockets - was unfit, unwell, intoxicated and untrained.

The officer had full protective gear, a baton, CS spray and handcuffs and was also stronger, taller and a great deal fitter and highly trained.

Even if one accepts your point that Mr Tomlinson was obstructing the officer, there were a number of other means of dealing with that than striking him with a baton and pushing him to the ground were there not?

Absolute piffle. You've seen the video the same as I had. Tomlinson - aside from the fact that his back was to the officer and he had his hands in his pockets - was unfit, unwell, intoxicated and untrained.

The officer had full protective gear, a baton, CS spray and handcuffs and was also stronger, taller and a great deal fitter and highly trained.

Even if one accepts your point that Mr Tomlinson was obstructing the officer, there were a number of other means of dealing with that than striking him with a baton and pushing him to the ground were there not?

Yes, and he'd ignored verbal instructions. Don't forget there was a huge riot going on - the Police aren't going to be all soft and fluffy under such circumstances, so if some fool gets in their way and deliberately won’t move, they need to act swiftly and decisively to shift him. Anybody who refuses legitmate Police instructions should have no opportunity to complain when they suffer the consequences.

Archived