Baton rounds on hand so that protesters can be shot if needs be.

Your back tracking a little now arnt you and im far from twisting things. Your post clearly came across as a crime been commited and the police should stand back and let it happen because we have laws in place to deal with it afterwards.

Then it's possible you misread the post. It's pretty clear that the poster is referring to damage of property and not life.

Then it's possible you misread the post. It's pretty clear that the poster is referring to damage of property and not life.

Ok my example maybe have been dramatic but a crime is a crime be it robbery, rape, murder or petty shoplifting. Unless the police where in serious danger of harm if they where to step in then i would expect them go in a do something and not just stand by and let it happen.

Maybe if the usual suspect who use demos as a reason to go on the rampage knew there is a good chance the police would take pop shots at them, maybe it would make them think about things before they chucked a brick threw a starbucks window.

Ok my example maybe have been dramatic but a crime is a crime be it robbery, rape, murder or petty shoplifting. Unless the police where in serious danger of harm if they where to step in then i would expect them go in a do something and not just stand by and let it happen.

Maybe if the usual suspect who use demos as a reason to go on the rampage knew there is a good chance the police would take pop shots at them, maybe it would make them think about things before they chucked a brick threw a starbucks window.

I'm not familiar with police procedure but it is probably prudent to contain rather than 'wade in' at certain times. Heavy handed police tactics have a nasty habit of escalating the violence which ignites public opinion against them.

The difference this time is the upfront threats. Very unusual
Might be an attempt at reverse psychology or double-play:

raising students' backs further at a perceived "attack on democracy",

thus foment more violence than may happen if it was only the usual 'hardcore elements',

for later justification of the (already fully intended) use of the method,

which will play nicely into the Gvt's PR machine appealing to reactionaries.

Or am I lending the power-that-be too much Machiavelli-esque aptitude? :D

Might be an attempt at reverse psychology or double-play:

raising students' backs further at a perceived "attack on democracy",

thus foment more violence than may happen if it was only the usual 'hardcore elements',

for later justification of the (already fully intended) use of the method,

which will play nicely into the Gvt's PR machine appealing to reactionaries.

Or am I lending the power-that-be too much Machiavelli-esque aptitude? :D

That is up there with mono parental. ;):hihi:

He has misread it. Completely.

In post 14 you did say if a place is been smashed up i say let them get on with it.

Cherry picking which crimes you are happy to happen and which you think the police should step in.

Like i said if the usual suspect knew serious harmful force will be used it might just make them think before that brick goes through that window.

I'm not familiar with police procedure but it is probably prudent to contain rather than 'wade in' at certain times. Heavy handed police tactics have a nasty habit of escalating the violence which ignites public opinion against them.

Of course im not saying they should just wade in willy nilly as each situation is different but to say the police should just stand back and let it happen regardless is wrong in my opinion.

Archived