Why do we inflict daylight saving time on ourselves?

Guest makapaka

A few years ago the government attempted to abolish BST. The experiment failed however thanks to the shock tactics of the press as they attempted to sell papers. They jumped on a story of a child being knocked down on a dark morning as they walked to school and they ran with it. After the failed experiment the results showed that for every increased death it caused in the morning, something like three were avoided in the evening as compared to the previous 20 years or so.

Of course, the press, being a corrupt body who have brought zero good into the world, were not interested in reporting the good, and so it remains in place just because the leaders are too scared of the press to change it.

Dunno where I heard this, but I usually attribute all my knowledge to QI.

Why do we still do this?

I can't see any benefit, and the downside of leaving home in the dark and wet mornings and coming home in the dark and wet night is just depressing.

Probably for the same reasons we did it last year, the year before that and the previous years. Why do we have to have this debate every year?

Noon means midday, and is widely understood as such.

Why not just set our timezone and clocks so that 12:00 approximates to the middle of the day, with an equal amount of daylight either side, and leave it there? Seems quite simple and sensible to me.

People that insert the crazy idea that we can lose or gain daylight into their arguments for changing the clocks infuriate me greatly. People that think that farmers living in north Scotland change their working day according to what time people in London set their clocks are equally crazy.

If the UK is too big for 1 timezone what about China and Russia.Huge countries using one timezone all the way across.I think china is about 3 hours difference in sunrise from east to west,poor farmers.Bit ridiculous i think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-12849630

but a farmer can choose his/her own hours so what does it matter? They could get up at 1am and go to bed at 4pm if they want to? Why don't we all (everyone in the world) use one time zone and just get to work at different times?

Why not just set our timezone and clocks so that 12:00 approximates to the middle of the day, with an equal amount of daylight either side, and leave it there? Seems quite simple and sensible to me.

In mid-summer it would be light at 3am and dark at 9pm i.e. an hour earlier than at the moment. There are very few people about at 3am, far fewer than at 9pm. Going onto CET would mean it would be light at 5am in mid-summer and dark at 11pm which would give us the benefit of maximising natural light when people are out and about i.e. there are more people about at 9-11pm than at 3-5am.

In winter your change would mean it would be about the same as now - 8am to 4pm.

but a farmer can choose his/her own hours so what does it matter? They could get up at 1am and go to bed at 4pm if they want to? Why don't we all (everyone in the world) use one time zone and just get to work at different times?

Think there may be some loss of business trading hours with that notion!

Archived