Why do we inflict daylight saving time on ourselves?

Guest makapaka

Noon means midday, and is widely understood as such.

Why not just set our timezone and clocks so that 12:00 approximates to the middle of the day, with an equal amount of daylight either side, and leave it there? Seems quite simple and sensible to me.

If people were to get up at 4am, work from 6 until 2 and go to bed at 8pm, that would work.

Any government trying to pass a law to make people do that would find itself in serious trouble. The only way you can make people do it, is to lie about what time it is by introducing daylight savings time.

Think there may be some loss of business trading hours with that notion!

How? is it too difficult to contemplate that someone in china would work from 4am instead of 9am? (that is a guess!)

As it is we have to work out when 9am is in that country, if we all kept the same time we would have to work out when trading hours started-it seems easier to me particularly if you are travelling between countries.

How? is it too difficult to contemplate that someone in china would work from 4am instead of 9am? (that is a guess!)

I would say that implementing such an idea in practice would be detrimental to business and health if everyone is expected to roll on regardless of time of day.

If people were to get up at 4am, work from 6 until 2 and go to bed at 8pm, that would work.

Any government trying to pass a law to make people do that would find itself in serious trouble. The only way you can make people do it, is to lie about what time it is by introducing daylight savings time.

It does highlight how our actual working/daily lives have moved out of sync with the movements of the planet, presumably with the invention of artificial lighting and/or the psychological delusion that we can extend our day by staying up later rather than getting up earlier.

Cool, I am willing to concede your point and accept that midday can be determined by society based on what is convenient rather than actual daylight. But it still doesn't shift, and it is delusional to imagine that changing it somehow buys more daylight.

I would say that implementing such an idea in practice would be detrimental to business and health if everyone is expected to roll on regardless of time of day.

thats not what I said, I said why don't we all use the same time, i.e. at 1am it would be 1am everywhere. Some people would go to work at 1am if that is when it starts to get light in their country.

thats not what I said, I said why don't we all use the same time, i.e. at 1am it would be 1am everywhere. Some people would go to work at 1am if that is when it starts to get light in their country.

I apologise if i still fail to grasp what you mean but, if it doesn't get light until 5am (world time) would there day start then?

I apologise if i still fail to grasp what you mean but, if it doesn't get light until 5am (world time) would there day start then?

The world would run exactly as it is now, the only difference would be that all the clocks would show the same time. Instead of knowing that germany is an hour ahead you would know that the working days starts at 8am.

but a farmer can choose his/her own hours so what does it matter? They could get up at 1am and go to bed at 4pm if they want to? Why don't we all (everyone in the world) use one time zone and just get to work at different times?

Everybody living to the same clock is one of those nice ideas, like everybody living with the same language, currency, and laws, and might actually happen one day.

But whose clock do we choose?

As our species exists currently, any claims that our clock is the correct one, and everybody else should live by it, is the sort of thing that wars are fought over ... unfortunately.

I do think that everybody should drive on the left though. :)

Everybody living to the same clock is one of those nice ideas, like everybody living with the same language, currency, and laws, and might actually happen one day.

But whose clock do we choose?

As our species exists currently, any claims that our clock is the correct one, and everybody else should live by it, is the sort of thing that wars are fought over ... unfortunately.

I do think that everybody should drive on the left though. :)

we started to do it with currency-no problems so far:hihi:

I wouldn't like everyone to have the same language, I used to love eurovision but its dull now its all in english!

Archived