Slot Television

I know they still do them we was wondering how much time you got for watching when you inserted your money 50p or a £1.00.

Then I don't know, last time I seen one must be a good 30yrs ago.

Google is your friend though.

I know they still do them we was wondering how much time you got for watching when you inserted your money 50p or a £1.00.

There are versions of this to pay for goods, as a form of debt. Pay As You View televisions aren't unknown. PPV TV License doesn't exist though, that has to be covered seperately.

dont do it!

my mum has had these tvs all my life, pain in the backside at the very least. you will have agents coming to your door to collect every month, some of them are quite vile people.

1 pound will get you around 4 hours viewing, however, dont think that just because you only watch tv for lets say a hour a day, that it will be ok, the agent will still want as many pound coins in the back of that tv every month to cover the finance amount, they can get very mardy if the correct amount is not there either, plus they can take it back at any time if you default no matter how much you have already paid towards it! BAYV are the worst with brighthouse a close second.

dont get yourself into debt and have strangers coming round to your home every week/month for the sake of a tv... save up and buy one outright, they are cheap enough of ebay and off here, or do what we do, buy an old analogue 32 inch tv (you can even get them for free off here) to put you on while you have saved up enough money. trust me, i know what im talking about, 25 years my mum has had a tv with a slot, caused nothing but misery!

The slot TV's had to set to each person's usage. All they wanted was enough money to cover the rental of the TV and everything else they gave back to you. So if you watched loads of TV they would set it to give you longer per 50p and if you olny watched 1 hour a day it would be set so it would cover the rental.

The slot TV's had to set to each person's usage. All they wanted was enough money to cover the rental of the TV and everything else they gave back to you. So if you watched loads of TV they would set it to give you longer per 50p and if you olny watched 1 hour a day it would be set so it would cover the rental.

yes the agent will give back any money left over from the agreed agreement payment, but if they are at work all day and not watching tv alot, they will find themselfs paying more than they actually use.

Gosh! Slot TVs. I remember in the 50's/60's when we as a family lived with my grand-dad having a slot TV and I remember when the man came round to empty the "box" (and they were always friendly!) handing money back each time. The only down side I remember is watching a programme and the money running out halfway through viewing - that was frustrating.

Then, of course, there was the "shilling" in the slot for the gas meter and cooking dinner and the money running out!

Happy days! :)

Just to clarify i would NEVER use pay to view or the equivalent these days. The subject came about when "Jeremy Kyle" was on and their was an advert on tv (it might have been Bright House) and you can pay weekly for the things you want (i would,nt use Brighthouse either). I remember people use to 50p shaped frozen water to put in the slots.

Archived