Legal Aid and Savings

(This question pertains to a family law issue in case that is relevant.)

As I understand it you cannot get Legal Aid if you have savings over £8000.

1. Does anyone know if it's a sliding scale after that? What I mean by that is if you've got £7000 you pay, say, 80%. If this is the case can anyone provide details of how the scale slides?

2. Is there a lower a limit at which Legal Aid covers all the costs?

I have Googled this but the results, beyond the basic information about the £8000 limit were incomprehensible to me.

Thanks.

A free call to a solicitors will give you a correct answer in seconds.

It will be worth it as, depending on the nature of your case, the simple existence of your savings may not always, on its own, bar you from legal aid.

I am not aware of any sliding scale. If you get it, you get it. But, please check up with a solicitors.

If the case involves winning or holding onto money or property, and you win, you will be expected to pay back some or all, from your "winnings".

Yes, you have to make a contribution.

It's the same as benefits or many other things - up to a certain point, you get full assistance, then after that, you have to make contributions, then at another point, you have no entitlement to legal aid at all.

I am not aware of any sliding scale. If you get it, you get it. But, please check up with a solicitors.

If the case involves winning or holding onto money or property, and you win, you will be expected to pay back some or all, from your "winnings".

Thanks for this. I went in to Sheffield Law Centre and they were helpful. Basically the situation is as you outlined.

Archived