Broadband phone call

Just had someone called Adam from India :confused: phone me about my broadband and computer speed running slow.

So I thought *Playtime*

Had Adam from India :confused: thinking he had put a virus into my laptop saying it was going to self destruct in 30 seconds. Turned out to be Michael Jackson who hacked my laptop.. It was making some strange high pitched noises :hihi:

Total of 8 minutes before Adam from India :confused: put the phone down, due to me not been able to hold back the laughter anymore and him realising this was a joke.

But on a serious note, people who are unsure about phone calls from people like Adam from India :confused: etc should be aware that it is a scam.

Just looks like advertising for decorating.

Long way for Adam from India to come to decorate.

I also get these calls. They come in waves - a few one week and then none. Haven't had one for a few weeks now. I just wind them up. Last time I advised them that I worked for a competitor to Norton and McAfee - had him on the phone for ages - at least in that time he wasn't phoning anyone else.

Bit of a pain though. I've just (five minutes ago) started another thread asking where these and other people get my name and number from because it is a pain - even if I do often just wind them up.

Funny isn't it...I've been to India and I met a lot of people called Raj and Vijay and Deepak but I never bumped into any "Adam" or "Dave" or "Roger" for example. Yet when you get these calls from Indian call centres they often have English names despite them being in Bangalore or Delhi wherever.

I tell you what's also a pain - these companies calling on behalf of some credit card company - trying to sell you credit card protection. I had one the other day - he asked me if I had credit cards - how many - what for etc and I knew what was coming.

He then painted a gloomy picture of stolen or hacked credit cards and what would happen if that happened to me and all that kind of jazz. I let him go on for about 10 minutes as he built up the story. Then he goes for the "close" which is something like this...

"So you can see how easy it is for credit card fraud to take place?"

"Yes, I can"

"And you can see how much hassle it can be to quickly put a stop to it if it happens to you?"

"Yes of course"

"And I'm sure you can understand that it's important to protect yourself against it?"

"Oh absolutely"

"So, what we offer is a credit card protection scheme for only £60 per year or £5.99 a month if you prefer to pay monthly"

"That's very reasonable!"

"So can I go ahead and register you for this service?"

"Err, no thanks - I've already got it" :hihi:

"Err, no thanks - I've already got it" :hihi:

We sooooo need a ROFL smiley on here :hihi:

We have caller display on a cordless phone, so all international calls are carefully placed infront of a radio speaker before being picked up :P

UK numbers which slip through the net are met with a similar barrage of questions to the ones they ask. It's usually a bank. I won't even confirm who they're speaking to or allow them to speak to the person they require until they answer the (repeated) question 'is this a sales or security call?' It's never a security call - they'd tell you straight away :rolleyes:

The last sales call we had from CPP (the card protection people) resulted in us being sent 5 new free keyfobs though

Archived