Halal meat - ignore it, or eat it?

I try and stay away from halal meat for the silliest reason. A few years ago i watched a delivery wagon turn up full of halal meat. When the van was opened the carcasses inside had flies on them and the delivery driver was moving the meat around on the floor of the van. It was filthy.

Since then i have been put off eating halal meat. Stupid i know, but once the idea is in my head.....

It never use to bother me eating halal meat, but i do not eat it now. This is the same reason i do not touch halal meat on the hygiene thing. I saw a delivery truck out side a take away delivering the meat. When i saw the bloke open his van i noticed all the meat was on the floor of the van that was dirty, the bloke jump into the van moving the meat all over the floor. Just the thought of the dirt that must be on the floor of that van and also from his shoes must also be on the meat, his clothes also was very dirty. Since that day i never ever order from a halal take away since.

I know in Kosher, it's that they are cloven-hooved but they chew the cud, which makes them permissible. Cloven-hooved and NOT chewing the cud is out in kosher.

It seems a very clever meat salesman was about in those times.

In a world where you can communicate with people from different time zones with the push of a button, perform the most amazing surgeries on the human body and orbit the earth in a man-made vessel we're still chanting to the invisible sky-man to bless our food. Embarrassing.
Well said. That reminds me, I've not ordered my Christmas turkey yet.

I was thinking the same thing Suffy. It doesn't take much to turn the debate into a religious argument on here these days.

Not unless you have been around here in a different guise. I doubt an unregistered, casual lurker would remember my posting habits.

I was talking about this thread..You wrote the same thing twice!!! We got what you wrote the first time!!!

Sorry for the delay :)

I was talking about this thread..You wrote the same thing twice!!! We got what you wrote the first time!!!

Sorry for the delay :)

I try and stay away from halal meat for the silliest reason. A few years ago i watched a delivery wagon turn up full of halal meat. When the van was opened the carcasses inside had flies on them and the delivery driver was moving the meat around on the floor of the van. It was filthy.

Since then i have been put off eating halal meat. Stupid i know, but once the idea is in my head.....

I'm a bloke. I don't give a damn how it died, as long as it hasn't been dragged around a rancid lorry like the halal meat i witnessed a few years ago.

Well, not exactly the same thing but i get what you mean. There's nothing wrong with reaffirming a point 7 pages in to a thread though is there?

• 3 weeks later...

Seems the BBC are talking about this again.

Marianne Thieme's from the Party for Animals comments hit the nail on the head (no pun intended) 'If you have humane techniques you should use them'. I couldn't agree more. Vitelco abattoir should be commended for abandoning Halal and Kosher slaughter and following their conscience and stopping slaughtering animals in this method.

Lets hope that the present government has the balls to outlaw these kinds of slaughter unlike the previous one who ignored their own advice.

BBC's latest report is found here

This part gives me reason to be hopeful that the UK may be realising what is happening with our food and demanding better for animals: "We decided to stop 'ritual' killing because the idea didn't fit us," says Mr Meeuwissen. "My customers are very critical on how we produce our meat, and the large supermarket chains no longer want any meat which is produced ritually."

Archived