Researching the word 'mardy' - any input will be much appreciated.

Only a guess, but I would imagine it's less popular than it was - having said that perhaps the Monkeys have given it a boost with their rather excellent song.

I actually don't think it's any less popular now, I'm 22, and everybody I know uses the word mardy and always have done. I struggled to explain what it meant purely because I just wanted to say ''it just means mardy''.

What does 'mardy' mean to you, if anything?

It means sulking, or prone to being sulky. It has a different meaning in that the word can be playful sometimes. 'Mardy Bum' isn't pejorative, whereas 'Mardy Sod' would be. My Grandfather is grumpy, and thus 'mardy git' is sometimes used to express this. It's quite open, as words go. The most common context I've found is the word to be used with children, or friends/family. It isn't a word that would quite fit into a work context.

- When, where and from whom did you first hear it?

From childhood. I have strong links with my grandparents so it's been passed down, but it is in common use. Most people here will know what it means.

- Do you think it has become less or more common in recent times?

It's hard to say really, unless one has been studying it's growth. It isn't a word that is in daily use, for me anyway.

I'm 29 and I am from and live in Sheffield, South Yorkshire.

:hihi: That's the chant I've just mentioned.. I wonder how old that chant actually is.

:hihi: I must have been typing my post as your put your's on, lol, great minds think alike, that was an awful song getting that sung to you, when you're stood on your own, and a group were all chanting it in your face:( :D

I'm originally from the black country area and like halibut says it's used down there as well, maybe not quite so common as up here but i remember my parents saying Oh pay him/her no attention they're just being mardy.

I was brought up in Chesterfield of a Sheffield Dad and Bristol Mum,and being 'mardy' has always meant someone easily upset about nothing in particular,bad loser at sports ect,usu

ally,in my experience,they are someone of a selfish nature,wanting everything their own way.

If we really wanted to vent our opinion on them we would call them a 'mardy a**e'

Mardy means having the face on, but last time I said that someone didn't know what I meant - so I'll say sulking.

I can't remember the first time I heard it, it's always been used. Probably my nan telling me to stop being mardy as a child when I was throwing a tantrum.

Everybody I know, uses the word mardy.. It's just standard English in Sheffield.. I'm from Sheffield btw.

I don't think it's become any less or more common, it's just always used. I'd never say someone is sulking, I'd say they're being mardy.

I'm 22.

I concur. Age 61.

Regards

Angel.

Archived