2 weeks in the USA!! I need help and suggestions!

Hi everyone!

My wife and I have decided to go to the states for 2 weeks next year in march. Cities on the short list are, in list of priority!!

1, new York!! :)

2, San fran!

3, Chicago!

4, Boston!

The obvious problem is that new York and San fran are east and west coast cities and getting an internal flight looks to be very pricey!! So! Do we go to the east or west coast. My wife fancies either, I know that Boston is only a few hours drive or train ride from new York so travel wise it would make sense to take one week in ny, then I've week in Boston. However! I REALLY REALLY want to go to new York and San fran! is there anything like new York but is actually quite near San fran? So we could go to SF, for a week then onto a different city fairly close by (for American standards) for the second week?!

Any suggestions welcome. Also, does anyone know anything about Boston as a city? Is it worth going there for a full week?! No doubt his holiday will be quite expensive so I don't want to ware half of it in a city I'm not keen on or sheers nothing much to do! I've been to new York b4 and absolutely loved it.

Thanks guys

Either a week in SF then a week in NY, or just do one coast this time and do the other one next time.

I don't think there's any city that is quite like New York. But if you only went to the west coast you could do Seattle and Portland too. I haven't been to either - I'm just going off the music scenes and Frasier!

I've just entered the prices for myself to go to New York and then entered to go to New York and then San Fran. It's an extra £100 on expedia for the dates I entered.

Incidentally, it's worth trying multiple flights. I was intending going to Philadelphia and taking the train to Boston in a couple of weeks. It's actually knocking £130 off the price by actually flying to Boston as well.

I think it really depends what you want to do when you get there?

If you want to spend most of the time in the cities then I'd choose the East coast as the cities there have a bit more to see and do. I'd leave New York till last as well because the other cities, though interesting, don't quite compare to that. I'd check out the travelling time between New York and Boston if that's what you are thinking of doing - it looks close on a map but I reckon that's quite a hike.

Boston is a nice city, easy to walk around and fairly safe. A trip to Boston ought to also include Cape Cod and a bit of whale watching perhaps, if you like that sort of thing. Boston is good for its blues houses as well. Well worth taking in if you like listening to live music.

Another option would be to fly into Philadelphia - I've done that route many times and it's quite cheap to get a return flight to there from Manchester - going on US Airways. Philly is not your typical US city in many ways - it has quite a bit of historic (by their standards) interest. The train from Philly to New York takes about 2 hours.

Chicago isn't East Coast of course - it's mid-west. And it will probably be a bit warmer in March than the likes of New York, Boston. It's a great city Chicago - very scenic, situated on the great lake of Michigan and well worth a visit. After New York, it's one of the most interesting cities I'd say.

San Francisco is an unusual city really. It's certainly worth seeing for its street cars and steep almost vertical streets. It's also a really nice laid back kind of atmosphere. However, the weather isn't great and it gets a lot of rain and fog especially. One of the attractions of going to San Francisco, for many, is the nearby wine country in addition to SF itself. The best time really is later in the year, August onwards, when the harvest is in full swing. If you want to combine with another city then Los Angeles is the obvious choice.

Personally, if I was going in March I'd probably go further south and head off to Miami in Florida. You can get there fairly cheaply - maybe by booking some charter flight or even flying into Orlando and taking a car. Miami is a decent sized city and you've got South Beach which is worth seeing for all the 1950's art deco stuff. From there you can easily drive down on to the Florida keys and at that time of year the Everglades national park is well worth a visit. Florida has a lot more to offer than chain hotels and theme parks and March is a good time to visit.

I think you've got two separate holidays there! New York and Boston as you say can be fairly easily grouped into one. Both are pretty unique and great places to visit.

San Francisco can be drawn out into a significant trip; the city itself, Yosemite National Park (amazing), perhaps a trip out to the Grand Canyon in Nevada, Monterey (whales and sea otters!).

I wouldn't 'short change' the East or West coast, both are so different and you don't want to feel you've missed out on anything.

Chicago is interesting but I went for work; I can't say I'd be keen enough to pay for another trip there myself.

I worked in Boston for some time and I absolutely love the place! You can get a Peter Pan Bus from NYC to BOS and vice versa for very cheap! Make sure you include Cape Cod!

There's a lot to do if you want to spend a week there, I don't think you'll get bored!

Archived