2 weeks in the USA!! I need help and suggestions!

As an East Coast chick, Ill say stick to NYC/Boston and even throw Philly & DC into the mix. All easily done in 14 days and travel via Amtrak (train service) or local internal train service. Weather wont be awesome (so bring a heavy winter coat) but it will be enjoyable. If you can find a rental company who give unlimited mileage and let you travel to different states, its all drivable and its about 9 hours between Boston and Washington, DC...

If you hit up NYC, I recommend the Yankee Stadium Tour.. runs about $20 per person but lasts about 3 hours and you get to walk around 3rd base, stand on the pitchers mound, walk around 1st base and sit in the team dug out. View the locker room, press box and more. Its GREAT.

I havent been to Boston in about ten years and it was only really to drive through it... Its a lovely city, loads to do and sites to see. Harvard is based there, so you can get a campus tour. Loads of history (one of the first cities settled in the 1600s) and places to go. Its not a cheap city, but it is nice. Due to the time of year, they could have heavy snow... So be warned, but its true of most of the east coast.

If you just want to go to SF & NYC, you can get internal flights from either of the three big airports in the area (JFK, Newark/Liberty Int or LaGuardia) Cheapest, if booked in advance, can be with SouthWest (think a posh EasyJet) or JetBlue as both do loads of flights to the area. Just did a quick search with JetBlue, with taxes and fees from Newark (EWK) to San Francisco (SFO) for two adults from 6/3 - 12/3 is $969 if booked today. Theres a layover in Boston, so it might be worth it to spend a day or two in Boston and fly direct to San Fran...

Hope this helps a bit

If you take Metro North from NY to Boston you'll go right past my house :wave:
I live almost half way between Boston and NYC. Boston is easier to fly into and out of. If you're a serious American History buff, Boston is the place, but it wouldn't sustain a full week of my vacation. New York on the other hand would. I lived for a while in San Jose, just a few miles from San Francisco. Its a beautiful city, and it could take a week to see everything. The Britannia Arms in Cupertino serves most British draft beers at a lower price than back home, it is run by expats from UK and Ireland and is authentic in food and atmosphere, right down to the 1956 Morris Minor Traveller in the parking lot.:)

I live almost half way between Boston and NYC. Boston is easier to fly into and out of. If you're a serious American History buff, Boston is the place, but it wouldn't sustain a full week of my vacation. New York on the other hand would. I lived for a while in San Jose, just a few miles from San Francisco. Its a beautiful city, and it could take a week to see everything. The Britannia Arms in Cupertino serves most British draft beers at a lower price than back home, it is run by expats from UK and Ireland and is authentic in food and atmosphere, right down to the 1956 Morris Minor Traveller in the parking lot.:)

I've never been to Boston Buck but next year i've got family coming over from Engald and they want to go to Boston. I've never even been on a train in the US, I fly all the time when i need to get from A to B, this way i get to spend more time at A before going back to B :)

train travel can be great, you see so much more than you do by flying, but it takes a lot longer, obviously.

Flying is such an unpleasant experience thesedays they shoudl invest more in trains, it's much more civilised.

If you choose the west coast I wouldnt spend more than a couple of days in San Francisco. You could do the cable car ride up the hills and China town in that time. South of Market street there's not much worth visiting.

I would suggest renting a car and driving south along the 101 Coast highway. There are a lot of nice little towns along the way and great scenery. You would go thru Big Sur, Monterey, Santa Cruz, Carmel, Cambria (Hearst Castle is worth a visit), Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, San Clemente, Carlsbad and finish in San Diego. San Diego is my preferred choice of the big California cities. It's a naval base and there's generally one of the big nuclear powered aircraft carriers docked and sometimes open to visitors.

You would also be assured of sunny dry weather without the humidity.

If you're in the mood for crowds, great shopping, fine restaurants and a Broadway show go for the Big Apple. I prefer Boston myself though.

Archived