Stopping cold telesales

Despite us being TPS registered (six years), we still get marketing telephone calls. These are off companies that I have never had any dealings with in the past.

We had one last week and for some unknown reason, my wife arranged an appointment for them to visit to give us a quote. It was an insulation company who promised 70% off in the form of a grant. When they rang up, they knew my wife's name (surname).

After the salesman had been and told me that they wouldn't insulate my loft (I can tell you why if you're interested), the salesman went to a neighbour's house and was there about an hour; obviously he had more luck there than with me. He then went to a further two houses on the street (I'm not nosey - honest :hihi:).

Anyhow, onto my question. Where did these people get my name, address and number from and how can I stop them and others from doing so again? There is obviously a list somewhere that you can buy that is ordered by address. How do I get to be 'hidden' on this list? Is it as simple as going ex-directory or is there a 'not listed' phone option? Do I need to opt out of being on the public electoral role?

Any advice welcome.

the chances are that you've provided this information to another company who has sold it on to them.

I did one of those consumer surveys some years ago and i was plagued with calls and leaflets through the door after that.

But there can be many sources - like the internet for example, when you buy or enquire after something and provide your details and then there's a little box to tick or untick if you want to be made aware of products and services from them (or their partners).

Car insurance for example - I went on one of those comparison sites and bought some insurance for my wife's car. I spotted the little box and the bottom and made sure I didn't approve further contact from them or partners but what happened was the next page didn't load properly (so for example, it comes up and says something like "you forgot to fill in your postcode" or something like that and it takes you back to the previous form - but magically the box that you ticked for "no contact" has become unticked again and if you don't spot it then they'll spam you.

There are other random phone callers that just sit and generate random numbers by computer and the computer will ring them until it finds one that rings out. But that wouldn't explain them knowing your wife's name.

I'm suspicious also of Charity muggers, or Chuggers as they are known. I may be being totally unfair about this - but they stop you in the street to talk to you about World Wildlife Fund, or RSPCA or Red Cross, whatever and they actually don't want money there and then. The main thing that they are after is your name and email address, or house address. I would rather give them 50p on the spot but they aren't after that so much as the personal details - which is a bit worrying!

Despite us being TPS registered (six years), we still get marketing telephone calls. These are off companies that I have never had any dealings with in the past.

We had one last week and for some unknown reason, my wife arranged an appointment for them to visit to give us a quote. It was an insulation company who promised 70% off in the form of a grant. When they rang up, they knew my wife's name (surname).

After the salesman had been and told me that they wouldn't insulate my loft (I can tell you why if you're interested), the salesman went to a neighbour's house and was there about an hour; obviously he had more luck there than with me. He then went to a further two houses on the street (I'm not nosey - honest :hihi:).

Anyhow, onto my question. Where did these people get my name, address and number from and how can I stop them and others from doing so again? There is obviously a list somewhere that you can buy that is ordered by address. How do I get to be 'hidden' on this list? Is it as simple as going ex-directory or is there a 'not listed' phone option? Do I need to opt out of being on the public electoral role?

Any advice welcome.

Aye, we get the same drivel phone calls, despite been on the TPS. I looked at the "smallprint" on the TPS webby site. Surprising what little they can stop, even more surprising what they CANNOT stop.

Regards

Angel.

Archived