Stopping cold telesales

If the company is out of the UK they can get around TPS so a lot of companies have a base outside the Uk so that these cold calls can be made.

*touch wood* i think i have managed to get it into the callers that we had since moving here that we are not interested (in a variety of ways)....

One call was asking for someone that doesnt live here, but when I said they had the wrong number they insisted on telling me who they were and what they did. i continued to tell them that the person they wanted didnt live here, but they somehow believed that I would benefit from what ever it was - - so they were obviously on some sort of commision. I just left them talking and carried on doing my chores etc...they soon gave up when they werent getting a response.

I have gone through the annoyed/put the phone down thing with them but found it didnt work, so playing along so far or doing as i said above and just leaving the phone while they talk away seems to work best.

LOL at Andy above. I have also heard someone say they have answered the phone and when they realised it was a cold call they made a point that they were a police officer investigating a murder/robbery etc and then started asking the cold caller what they knew about the crime?

Despite us being TPS registered (six years), we still get marketing telephone calls. These are off companies that I have never had any dealings with in the past.

We had one last week and for some unknown reason, my wife arranged an appointment for them to visit to give us a quote. It was an insulation company who promised 70% off in the form of a grant. When they rang up, they knew my wife's name (surname).

After the salesman had been and told me that they wouldn't insulate my loft (I can tell you why if you're interested), the salesman went to a neighbour's house and was there about an hour; obviously he had more luck there than with me. He then went to a further two houses on the street (I'm not nosey - honest :hihi:).

Anyhow, onto my question. Where did these people get my name, address and number from and how can I stop them and others from doing so again? There is obviously a list somewhere that you can buy that is ordered by address. How do I get to be 'hidden' on this list? Is it as simple as going ex-directory or is there a 'not listed' phone option? Do I need to opt out of being on the public electoral role?

Any advice welcome.

I am also TPS Reg and get phone calls using my surname over the last few months I have been getting them from "Technical Services" Asian voices with very English "names" telling me that I have a problem with my computer which is "very bad" would I switch my computer on and they will help me to clear the problem. I always say I have no idea what they are talking about as I dont own a computer then the line goes dead. How can I stop these calls? apart from not picking the phone up when the number comes up as with held

How can I stop these calls? apart from not picking the phone up when the number comes up as with held

Keep one of those old-school whistles (the very loud kind) next to the phone; next time you get a phone call from the telemarketers, blow said whistle down the phone.

We get hardly any cold calls now ;)

I work in Information Security, so when I say that the only people to have my Mobile number are my close friends, my parents, my bank, and my car insurers believe my paranoia.

Yet recently I've started receiving message, it was a sudden change. I've never replied to a single one, so it's not a 'he replied saying stop spamming so he must exist' but either the bank/insurer sold my number, or someone guessed me.

Meh.

Just put the phone down on the table, if you waste their time they may get sick of you?

The thing being is that the sales person that came around went to numerous houses on our street. I can only assume that the person making appointments for him was doing so on a street by street basis.

If I type my surname and first part of my postcode into 192.com, my name and details (including phone number) come up yet the details of my neighbours don't. If I then click on my surname within my result, a list of my neighbours' houses comes up but with no names on. If I then repeat the search only with one of my neighbour's surnames then their full details come up - including phone number - but all their neighbours (including me) are blanked out.

I am wondering whether there is a way to get the details of names and telephone numbers of the majority of neighbours on my street - probably by paying. If that was the case, how do I stop sites like http://www.192.com from listing my phone number?

Going to see if there is a 'help' section on there now.

For many reasons, I use another name in the phone book - not a name I have ever had, and it's listed nowhere else but with BT... The only telesales calls I get since being TPS listed ask for this name... Many dodgy places simply hit the phone book and hope for the best! Against code of conduct in the telesales world, but some fly by night businesses aren't worried by such things... Sometimes people you have done business with sell your data without your knowledge too - I had a charge card with M&S about ten years ago, and they weirdly spelt my name wrong... For years I recieved unsolicitored mail in this odd spelling, so I knew they'd sold my data and I closed the account with them...

Archived