If iPhones are good:Why so many on classifieds?

Magilla, I'm interested in what products you have bought that have been superseded within weeks of you buying them.

I bought a Mac Mini. I even specifically asked if it was due an update at the Apple Store (Meadowhall) when I bought it, they said "no".

2 days later the new one appeared. The Apple store stated that they have no idea when updates are due until they're announced or new stock arrives.

Apple follow pretty strict product release schedules meaning you can pretty much predict when a new one is on the horizon by a good few moths.

I don't follow the cult so have to rely on honesty at the point of sale. Not a good bet when buying Apple gear I found.

A friend waited until after this years "event" before buying his Macbook Pro, a couple of weeks later they quietly rolled out an update out of sync with the other products. Fortunately the one he bought developed a fault so he did get the later one in the end. It all seems so hit and miss.

Still, the Mac works, it's not like it's no good. I was just annoyed at the deliberate lack of any decent information.

I bought a Mac Mini. I even specifically asked if it was due an update at the Apple Store (Meadowhall) when I bought it, they said "no".

2 days later the new one appeared. The Apple store stated that they have no idea when updates are due until they're announced or new stock arrives.

You could have returned and swapped it for the newer model. They have a 14 day return policy for cases like this.

Apple Store employees really don't know when new products are coming unless there's an announcement. When new products are released the store's Visual Marketing team get a night shift with about three days notice. They don't know what the delivery contains until it is opened that same evening.

The latest MacBook Pro line was released in February this year. There was no announcement or event as it was only a CPU and graphics speed bump, plus Thunderbolt connectivity. There was no "silent upgrade" a few weeks later.

You could have returned and swapped it for the newer model. They have a 14 day return policy for cases like this.

I rang Apple at the time & contacted the Apple store. Not interested, very sorry but... (we've already got your cash).

The latest MacBook Pro line was released in February this year. There was no announcement or event as it was only a CPU and graphics speed bump, plus Thunderbolt connectivity. There was no "silent upgrade" a few weeks later.

Hmm, perhaps my friend is wrong then. Seems odd though as he had to go back twice as the newer model was missing something included with the old, though I couldn't say what that was. Shall have to enquire in more detail.

Nope. I rang Apple at the time & contacted the Apple store. Not interested, very sorry but... (we've already got your cash).

Hmm, perhaps my friend is wrong then. Seems odd though as he had to go back twice as the newer model was missing something included with the old, though I couldn't say what that was.

Are we talking about an Apple owned retail store here or a reseller?

That return policy has always been in place at Apple's own stores. They also remove superseded models immediately from sale. A reseller does not have to implement the return policy and might still have stocks of a previous model.

Two reasons I can think of off hand.

Every Apple product I've ever bought has been superceded within weeks. Those that follow the cult like the latest stuff.

The promise of Apple products entice the stupid into giving away details they shouldn't, as part of scams.

whether it's a phone, a tablet, or a PC, it's obsolete by the time you've got the box open and put the battery in!!

Are we talking about an Apple owned retail store here or a reseller?

It was the retail store at Meadowhall.

That return policy has always been in place at Apple's own stores. They also remove superseded models immediately from sale. A reseller does not have to implement the return policy and might still have stocks of a previous model.

Indeed, I've just checked online to see when it came into play and it's been in place ages. Maybe a case of "if you know" then sweet. I didn't, and was certainly never informed about it.

Not the end of the world the Mac did what it was bought for, though I'm feeling pretty knarked now :( Shoulda done some research and been better armed at the time.

Archived