Wearing liberty bodices in the 1950s

GOLDEN OLDIE

Short trousers with braces, socks that rarely stayed up, and a black blazer with little burnt dots on the sleeves, created by focusing sunlight through a "burning glass" (magnifying lens). In contrast with today's school regulations, the pockets would contain, amongst many other things, a knife for sharpening pencils, and we'd be in trouble if we had no knife.

My grandkids are fascinated by the blue marks under the skin of my knees caused by coming off my bike and ploughing up the gravel regularly I took the skin off the back my thumb more than once using a catapult My mum once bought me some crepe soled shoes and I wore them out in one night playing football on the street.

Short trousers nearly down to the knees. Long grey woolly socks that turn over at the top with a couple of coloured stripes. Home knitted ill fitting jumpers Small caps with great big peaks Elastic snake belts . A bit like the hovis advert really.

How about the home made knitted socks, then darned with one of wooden mushrooms .:hihi:

@ Poppins I had a pair of those football boots that came right round past your ankles with leather studs. Those along with the leather caseballs particularly when they were old and soggy and wet gave you legs like pit props . Made us a bit tougher than these ballet dancers kicking balloons around today.

Archived