Electric shock from light switch

Went to switch the light on this morning (top of stairs) and as I did, the bulbs blew out and I got quite a strong shock. The pain shot up my arm and had a strange tingling feeling for about 5 minutes. We've lived in this house for 7 years and this is the first time this has happened. Quite worried as we have 2 children and plan to get in touch with an electrician (wont be using that switch in the meantime) Im just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem. Hoping its just a problem with that particular switch that can easily be sorted and not the whole wiring...:help:

Thanks for the replies. Yeh it did trip the fuse box at the same time and yes its a brass switch. My hubby wanted to have a look at it and change to a plastic cover but told him not too (he's no diy expert at the best of times hehe) I'll tell him to flick off the fuse for that circuit till we get it sorted though, didn't realise we could do that. Im just glad it was me it happened too and not one of the kids! Fingers crossed its not going to be a big job...Someone I know had to have their house re-wired this year and it cost £5000 :gag: Thanks again :)

Anyone know why this post has been moved? I can't even see where its been moved to?:confused:

General discussion - presumably on the grounds that dodgy light fittings can electrocute people outside Sheffield as well as within it.

If you have other brass fittings in the house (light switches or plug sockets), I would definitely get an electrician in as soon as you possibly can to test all of them and make sure you don't have a system-wide problem. You may not get off so lightly when the next one tries to fry you.

If other fittings are plastic, you can't be electrocuted by them but I would still advise you to have an electrician check the whole system over - it just won't be quite so deadly urgent.

Archived