Electric shock from light switch

If the switch is a metal one and you have had a shock off it, then it could be that a cable being loose in the switch has come out of its connection and gone to earth ( live cable touching metal back box or metal switch ).

Switch the breaker off in the fuseboard for the lighting circuit, then get your partner to unscrew the switch from the wall, have a look and see if any cables have come out, if yes then put the cable that has come out back into its connector and tighten the screw - before re-fitting the switch check the tightness of any other conections.......

Its not an hard job doing it yourself and will save you a call out charge from any electrician.

The thing to remember: Make sure you switch the breaker off first - or if its an old fuseboard, take the fuse out.

Hope this helps

If the switch is a metal one and you have had a shock off it, then it could be that a cable being loose in the switch has come out of its connection and gone to earth ( live cable touching metal back box or metal switch ).

Switch the breaker off in the fuseboard for the lighting circuit, then get your partner to unscrew the switch from the wall, have a look and see if any cables have come out, if yes then put the cable that has come out back into its connector and tighten the screw - before re-fitting the switch check the tightness of any other conections.......

Its not an hard job doing it yourself and will save you a call out charge from any electrician.

The thing to remember: Make sure you switch the breaker off first - or if its an old fuseboard, take the fuse out.

Hope this helps

Many thanks for that. Hopefully that's all it is. My dads going to have a look at it tomorrow then will contact an electrician depending on if its just a loose wire or not. Put my mind at rest knowing thats all it might be for now at least..

If there are no loose wires and the installation meters up Ok, then what happened is this.

A bulb blew as you turned the switch on, they go witha flash sometimes.

The surge of current tripped the breaker, as they are designed to.

You were so suprised by this, you imagined you had had a 'belt' off the switch.

If you had a mains 'belt' you would know about it, they are unmistakable.

Your entire body is creased by the pain for a millisecond.

Any more than that, and you are dead.

Your head is remarkably clear, but you do not feel right for sometime.

Probably the worst you got was a bit of static.

But its best to checked, if only for the fact that the breaker went.

Does the light switch have an earth cable ?.

Funny you should mention that, I presumed it would have been but my dad said it wasn't earthed. Looks like it never has been (doesn't suprise me as after moving into this house we quickly learnt that its the house that jack built and everything was bodged :rolleyes:) Hes put a plastic switch on for the time being. He asked if my hands were wet at the time, and seeing as Id just come out of the bathroom and was in a mad rush there is a possibility I suppose so maybe that had something to do with it aswell. Thanks for the reply anyway.

If there are no loose wires and the installation meters up Ok, then what happened is this.

A bulb blew as you turned the switch on, they go witha flash sometimes.

The surge of current tripped the breaker, as they are designed to.

You were so suprised by this, you imagined you had had a 'belt' off the switch.

If you had a mains 'belt' you would know about it, they are unmistakable.

Your entire body is creased by the pain for a millisecond.

Any more than that, and you are dead.

Your head is remarkably clear, but you do not feel right for sometime.

Probably the worst you got was a bit of static.

But its best to checked, if only for the fact that the breaker went.

I know what I felt! And pain that lasts for 5 minutes certainly isn't static! After looking on the net, it seems this kind of thing is actually quite common. You obviously think you know what you're talking about, but clearly don't...

Archived