Electric shock from light switch

is there a bald copper wire in there somewhere? the earth cable doesn't come with a coating on, a sleeve is added by the electrician on installation, and can fall off if tampered with by somebody who doesn't know what they're doing

I know what I felt! And pain that lasts for 5 minutes certainly isn't static! After looking on the net, it seems this kind of thing is actually quite common. You obviously think you know what you're talking about, but clearly don't...

If you notice, I told you to get it checked out.

I hope you have not reestablished the supply to your lights, btw.

As this would be most unwise before you have the system checked.

is there a bald copper wire in there somewhere? the earth cable doesn't come with a coating on, a sleeve is added by the electrician on installation, and can fall off if tampered with by somebody who doesn't know what they're doing

My dad showed me the offending switch that hes took off, and said that the hole where the earth wire should be, has never been used as the little screw (presumably to hold it in place?) is still there and looks like its never been touched. Sorry for the rubbish explanation, Im no expert but will mention what you've said to my dad tomorrow. He said it definately wasn't earthed though and its not been tampered with (until today that is lol) But I can't understand why one of us hasn't had a shock off it before if this is the case? Ive had plenty of static shocks before (car doors/escalators etc) and this was nothing like that.

If you notice, I told you to get it checked out.

I hope you have not reestablished the supply to your lights, btw.

As this would be most unwise before you have the system checked.

No, its not in use now. Thankyou, we'll be getting it looked at first thing Monday.

You were so suprised by this, you imagined you had had a 'belt' off the switch.

If you had a mains 'belt' you would know about it, they are unmistakable.

Your entire body is creased by the pain for a millisecond.

Any more than that, and you are dead.

What rubbish.

I've had shocks from light switches, sockets, even an arc welder (now that was scary). Never died.

If there are no loose wires and the installation meters up Ok, then what happened is this.

A bulb blew as you turned the switch on, they go witha flash sometimes.

The surge of current tripped the breaker, as they are designed to.

You were so suprised by this, you imagined you had had a 'belt' off the switch.

If you had a mains 'belt' you would know about it, they are unmistakable.

Your entire body is creased by the pain for a millisecond.

Any more than that, and you are dead.

Your head is remarkably clear, but you do not feel right for sometime.

Probably the worst you got was a bit of static.

But its best to checked, if only for the fact that the breaker went.

A bulb going wouldn't ordinarily trip the circuit.

A bulb going wouldn't ordinarily trip the circuit.

Yes it would.

The power surge will trip the breaker, if it doesnt then you have a serious fault.

I am talking here of incandescent bulbs, which are now not allowed.

As the bulb goes toward blowing, the power surges to the breaker trip point.

It is simple electrical theory.

What rubbish.

I've had shocks from light switches, sockets, even an arc welder (now that was scary). Never died.

An arc welder cannot harm you, it is only 80 volts top wak,

you might get burnt, but not killed.

This is the mistake they made with the electric chair in the old days.

They didnt electrocute them, they slow cooked them.

50 volts 30 milliamps is the lethal dose of alternating current.

Above that, across your heart and you will die.

No questions asked.

That is why we use MCB's in everything these days.

My dad showed me the offending switch that hes took off, and said that the hole where the earth wire should be, has never been used as the little screw (presumably to hold it in place?) is still there and looks like its never been touched. Sorry for the rubbish explanation, Im no expert but will mention what you've said to my dad tomorrow. He said it definately wasn't earthed though and its not been tampered with (until today that is lol) But I can't understand why one of us hasn't had a shock off it before if this is the case? Ive had plenty of static shocks before (car doors/escalators etc) and this was nothing like that.
I'd kind of drawn that conclusion from your earlier post. What I was trying to establish is whether the wrong cabling had been installed, making the job a bigger one than just screwing it up right

Yes it would.

The power surge will trip the breaker, if it doesnt then you have a serious fault.

I am talking here of incandescent bulbs, which are now not allowed.

As the bulb goes toward blowing, the power surges to the breaker trip point.

It is simple electrical theory.

I disagree. My experience of bulbs blowing is simply that. The light switch completes the circuit and the filament will blow mainly through age, oh hang on!

http://www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.com/why-do-light-bulbs-usually-blow-when-first-switched-on-and-what-causes-a-light-bulb-filament-to-burn-out

Archived