Electric shock from light switch

having a bit of a laugh tbh reading the comments on here from the people with a little (dangerous!) electrical knowledge.

grandad malky- 3000v at 1amp will almost certainly kill you almost all the time, so i'd suggest thats not what the current was. a megger insulation test instrument will give you about 500v or a 1000v depending on model at very low current which gives you a fair old crack which hurts!

230v and around 100ma will see most average people off if direct across the heart, 30ma is generallty recognised as enough of a safe limit given a sufficient voltage to overcome the body resistance. listen to dosxuk he seems to know what he's on about!

having read the original thread it does read like a current surge as the filament blew, which will onyl last a short time, also arcing across the switch contacts (which you will get on ac) as this happened might have led to a flash over, especially if the front plate wasnt earthed. Any 230v shock will hurt , had a few myself in my early life!

If you're an electrician, you need to go back to school. The number of things you've posted as facts which are untrue is scary.

For one, tungsten lamps aren't banned.

Two, 30mA at 50VAC is not lethal, the vast majority of people would shake it off immediately. If it was lethal, then RCDs would be set at much lower levels, and 100mA RCDs would be illegal. Millions of people have survived shocks of far over 30mA.

And three, an MCB will not protect you from earth leakage, an MCB only protects against overcurrent. Now, assuming you actually meant RCD or MCCB / RCBO, which do protect you against earth leakage as well as overcurrent, well, we don't use them on everything. In fact most peoples' lighting circuits won't be RCD protected. Also, there's no requirement to have MCB's / RCD's. Thousands of house are perfectly legally using fuseboards.

These are basic things, which any electrician would know.

What exactly are you trying to prove here?

What ever it is, you are wasting your time on me.

I may be right I may be wrong.

But a local message board is the not the place to question anothers professional qualifications or ability.

I would never do it to others, why then do it to me?

All I have done is given my opinion, and advised them to get someone to have proper look at the problem.

I do not speak gospel truth over the internet, on the basis of a few vague comments.

Indeed I would not advise anyone to seek advice over a forum for such a potentially lethal situation as this.

Archived