Smithywood coking plant

I have been reading the Sheffield Star today and come across an article in the Obituaries column, if i have put 2 and 2 together and come up with the wrong answers then I apologise unreservedly now. It reported the death of Trevor Owen aged 71, well the person I am thinking of was about that age and from High Green, which is where the funeral director handling the death is also from. Trevor was an electrician at the plant and if it is him, its sad and we have to say goodbye to yet another old friend and colleague.

Rip Trevor. He was a great guy, i was his apprentice for a few months. Used to go out to Ecclesfield for fish and chips on a Friday. Trevor used to take me for a pint and a game of snooker 1st.

---------- Post added 01-08-2016 at 20:34 ----------

Hia Ben great photos, what was yer Grandads name?

• 3 months later...

Hello Ben1983, great photo's i know the man on the right of the picture is Phil Lewis aka wobble gob, you can guess why still hear him over the plant loudest mad i have ever heard, his father was Gordon lewis fitter/blacksmith i used to go boxing with Gordon when i was an apprentice picked me up in his Firebird not bad at the time not bad at all, i have move a few times since the Plant but have photos somewhere if i find 'em i'll post 'em, all the best and thanks.

Watched the video, brought back great memories all the fitters, and foremen there, the lean to in the picture where the fitting shop,joiners and foremans office was just out to the back, looking over the coke car rebuild with gnarled Jack Sellars plying his trade, one more than one occasion we'd be having a well deserved cuppa and the lister truck would come flying down the hill the brakes failed the driver trying like mad to slow it down eyes bulging wind in his helmet shouting all manner of expletives, trying to avoid hitting the chimney, good times.

• 6 months later...

Morning, just sent you a message on private messages, with regards to an apology for taking so long to reply to a message about my nickname.

To all, times move on and with it age, and many have departed, so if anyone would like answers to questions, and I can obliged please ask I will if I can.

• 6 years later...

I was trying to find out the year the Smithywood Coke works closed and found this pic -  dated March 1982 -  which I think many might find interesting.

As to the date of Smithywood's closure some sources say "mid 1980s", but I didn't think the railway line, which was kept open to serve it, closed till 1988.

148-Coal-031.jpg-Smith6A632B5-1024x684.j

• 2 months later...