Rocket Marketing Group - Ideal World Extras Club

Just wanted to let folks know about my Mum's recent experience with this organisation. A few weeks ago she was contacted by Ideal World to ask if she wanted to have membership to their Ideal Extras Club, which offered all kinds of 'benefits'. (Mum has ordered things from Ideal World in the past but hasn't bought anything for months because the cost of the telephone calls was excessive - nevertheless, they do still have her account details from these previous purchases).Anyway, my Mum said no, but the caller persisted saying that she could try it free for 21 days and would receive two free gifts. She still said no but after further persistence said 'ok' to a free trial.

The pack arrived a couple of days ago and, as was expected, neither the 'benefits' nor the free gifts, were any good to her. She rang the Services Team to cancel (again costing lots of money on the 08448 number), and was told that she must return the whole pack, by recorded delivery, by 16 November 2011. If it was not returned by that date a subscription of £49.99 would be taken from her account to pay for the first year's membership.

The accompanying letter with the pack, said that £2.99 had been taken from her account to pay for postage and packing of this, free, Welcome pack. The terms and conditions on the back of the letter are in very small, and very faint print. I do not need glasses for reading but had to use a magnifying glass to read these clearly.

I have now written a letter for my Mum to return this pack, and will have to pay about £4 to return it by Recorded Delivery. I am annoyed about these costs and feel strongly that she shouldn't have to pay them. However, we are trying so hard to get everything back by 16 November that I don't have time to look into it further.

I just wanted to warn people to be aware of the tactics used by some companies and to read the letters carefully, and with a magnifying glass, to ensure that money is not taken from your account unnecessarily.

• 1 month later...

I too have had a similar experience, I sent several emails cancelling this yet ideal world could not do this, neither would they give me the email address for the rocket marketing group. This seems to me to be a scam by the group I would advise to avoid this with a barge pole. avoid, avoid, avoid, nothing for nothing, I only agreed to have the pack when I was rung as I was ill and just wanted rid of them,

How do they "contact" you? By phone I'm guessing? I think that anyone who allows themselves to be sold to over the phone is asking for trouble.

We're ex-directory but still get occasional sales calls from rogue companies. I usually string them along for fun actually. One the other day was doing some kind of survey about modern living or summat. I thought, "heyup! that's me that, Mr Modern Liver" so I answered some of their questions. After about 10 minutes it came down to, "if you'd got £5000 to spend, would you spend that on solar panels, double-glazing or a new kitchen" and I said, I wouldn't spend it on any of them things - I'd put it towards a new Jag. So they come at you again from a different angle. In the end they get more direct and say - "would you say your kitchen is over 7 years old?" and I said, "if you pay me, then yes, I'd be willing to say that". The girl went quiet and then said, "but is it over 7 years old?" and I said, "no, it's 2 years old". And that was that, she said her goodbyes and the phone went down.

It's good that you bring this to people's attention and very useful that you name these companies as well.

I don't know how anyone can be comfortable taking money from others on such pretences. It's disgraceful.

• 1 year later...
Just wanted to let folks know about my Mum's recent experience with this organisation. A few weeks ago she was contacted by Ideal World to ask if she wanted to have membership to their Ideal Extras Club, which offered all kinds of 'benefits'. (Mum has ordered things from Ideal World in the past but hasn't bought anything for months because the cost of the telephone calls was excessive - nevertheless, they do still have her account details from these previous purchases).Anyway, my Mum said no, but the caller persisted saying that she could try it free for 21 days and would receive two free gifts. She still said no but after further persistence said 'ok' to a free trial.

The pack arrived a couple of days ago and, as was expected, neither the 'benefits' nor the free gifts, were any good to her. She rang the Services Team to cancel (again costing lots of money on the 08448 number), and was told that she must return the whole pack, by recorded delivery, by 16 November 2011. If it was not returned by that date a subscription of £49.99 would be taken from her account to pay for the first year's membership.

The accompanying letter with the pack, said that £2.99 had been taken from her account to pay for postage and packing of this, free, Welcome pack. The terms and conditions on the back of the letter are in very small, and very faint print. I do not need glasses for reading but had to use a magnifying glass to read these clearly.

I have now written a letter for my Mum to return this pack, and will have to pay about £4 to return it by Recorded Delivery. I am annoyed about these costs and feel strongly that she shouldn't have to pay them. However, we are trying so hard to get everything back by 16 November that I don't have time to look into it further.

I just wanted to warn people to be aware of the tactics used by some companies and to read the letters carefully, and with a magnifying glass, to ensure that money is not taken from your account unnecessarily.

Sorry to hear your story I also been duped with the IW annual subscription fee::mad

• 3 months later...

The same thing has happened to me today as well. All they toldme was that they were going to send me some vouchers and i read all of that and put it in the bin. Now they want their material to be sent back to cancel my "free membership".

I have blocked my card to stop any more payments going out.

I shall keep the forum updated.

I was told i was going to get a bag of vouchers.

Not a cotnract where i need to read the fine frint.

This is a scam.

It's daylight robbery taking people's money without clearly outlining their deal.

I haven't bought anything since I was robbed of £50 annual fee, for which I've nothing to show. I could have given that to charity. Might investigate this further.

Archived