1960's Film : The Family Way

Any of the older generation remember seeing this film at the pictures in the 60's ?

At the time it was very controversial as it dealt with a young teen girl becoming pregnant out of wedlock........... once upon a time it was regarded as being taboo for young girls to get pregnant and have children out of wedlock - parents of the pregnant girl would feel ashamed and worry about their neighbours finding out, the parents would also be very angry with their daughters................how times have changed !

Young teengirls getting pregnant these days is looked upon as the norm, parents dont say as much as a boo to them but feel proud to be called grandparents. Go around the city centre and see how many young girls are pushing prams - they have a kid because their mates got one, they get pregnant to escape having to go to work for a living.

I'm not an old fogey or a religious person but I think we should return to some old fashion values.

I remember these days - seems unbelievable in this day and age..and this was only the 1960s. It was only in the cities where the permissive society reigned.

Yes, they were known as the good old days, but it was hard life sometimes. Life is so much easier today..we have central heating for starters. :banana:

I remember the film well. Not at the flix, I saw it later on TV. However we must remember that the films, books stories of those days were in fact a type of propaganda, the attitudes and moral conduct of people were formed by seeing that stuff.

Nowadays the youngsters see a totally different type of propaganda and so will be different in attitudes/conduct to past generations.

I remember at school getting interested in the family tree and remember asking questions like why was my dads name different to my grandmas and why did his sisters have different names to him etc....I also remember him going mad about it and him telling me not to go digging up the past.

When his mother died in 1968, he wouldnt let anyone go to her house to help him clear it. When he died in '76 we found out why....he was illegitimate.

It really upsets me now to think that he'd grown up with this "burden" as it would have been then and how his mother would have never talked about it to him either. Did she even know that he knew I wonder.

Now, a baby in a pram for some, seems to be a fashion accessary and a mealticket and as someone says, a key to the door of a house or flat.

If it's the same film I remember seeing, starring Hailey and her father John Mills she didn't get pregnant out of wedlock.

On the contrary, Hailey newly married and living with her parents-in-law was having problems with her husband cos he couldn't get it up :hihi:

I may be talking about a different film though

If it's the same film I remember seeing, starring Hailey and her father John Mills she didn't get pregnant out of wedlock.

On the contrary, Hailey newly married and living with her parents-in-law was having problems with her husband cos he couldn't get it up :hihi:

Yep I think you're right:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060395/

Yes, this is how I remember the film - I think it was a chat with Wilfred Pickles that sorted the problem out!

Archived