1960's Film : The Family Way

I'm glad JOHN HABS started this thread, you know how I said we had the DVD well I looked for it to see who played Hayley Mills husband. I couldn't find it, then hubby remembered he'd loaned it to a neighbour. :roll: Anyway it's safely back now, and it was Hywel Bennett who played Hayley's husband. Can anyone remember him starring in any other movies? he was gorgeous looking and did a good job acting the part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hywel_Bennett

I wonder if John Mills knew all along that his son's real father was his best friend who suddenly disappeared and was never heard from again.

Mills remarked once or twice about the son's likeness to his old friend and wondered why the friend had just left without a word. Maybe he wasnt as naive as he was portrayed and suspected all along. He certainly knew at the end of the film but not from his wife.

The arm wrestling contest was a good scene. The son seeing the desperation on his father's face took pity and gave way to the old man

I do believe he really didn't know, and what really made it hit home with him was when he shook his hand at the end combined with that look, and he saw his friend in that instance. That's what I feel anyway, after all he played a very simple man, he couldn't even work out what the other 3 parents were trying to tell him wasn't happening with the couple. :)

That Family Way was great,and introduced many a lad to Hayley Mills,daughter of the aforementioned John Mills.Both changed their name to Robinson by deed poll in a later film,and Whistle While You Work was another hit featuring the dwarf actor Terence Stump.

Didn't they have council houses and benefits back in the 60s then? If girls do get pregnant on purpose it's still not unusual for a male to be involved though. If you're not sure see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fertilisation

I doubt you would have got a house in the 60s - possibly a flat maybe. There probably would have been benefits, but people didn't view them as a right then, but as a last resort when times got hard. Most people worked for a living, as the welfare state was only introduced in 1948, and mass unemployment just didn't exist. It just wasn't part of the mentality to be on benefits, there were few single parent families, at least in our neighbourhood and if there was, it was usually due to desertion by the husband, or death of a partner.

There was no family credit payments, only family allowance for the first child, I seem to recall. It was the shame that made you not get pregnant - it was a big deal then. A girl at school got pregnant and all the neighbours were really shocked.

I doubt you would have got a house in the 60s - possibly a flat maybe. There probably would have been benefits, but people didn't view them as a right then, but as a last resort when times got hard. Most people worked for a living, as the welfare state was only introduced in 1948, and mass unemployment just didn't exist. It just wasn't part of the mentality to be on benefits, there were few single parent families, at least in our neighbourhood and if there was, it was usually due to desertion by the husband, or death of a partner.

There was no family credit payments, only family allowance for the first child, I seem to recall. It was the shame that made you not get pregnant - it was a big deal then. A girl at school got pregnant and all the neighbours were really shocked.

I think the council houses were allocated on a waiting list system back then, you had to have your name down a long time to get one. If you could show that you were overcrowded, or had teenagers of opposite sexes in the same bedroom you could get a little priority.

We lived in council houses in Sheffield. When my father found a job down south he got a brand new council house in one of the new towns that were being built back then. It was 1955.

Later all those houses were offered to the tenants for knock down prices and today they're all privately owned.

I think the council houses were allocated on a waiting list system back then, you had to have your name down a long time to get one. If you could show that you were overcrowded, or had teenagers of opposite sexes in the same bedroom you could get a little priority.

You're right about that, we lived with both parents and we had 2 kids. When our 3rd was on the way and no hope of a council house we rented an old 2 up 2 down privately. We were 2 bus rides away from both our family's and I hated the neighbourhood ( I'll not say where). So when they advertised houses for sale in Stocksbridge with an 100% mortgage we jumped at the chance. I was still 2 long bus rides away from the Cross and family, but I loved living there until emigrated.

Archived