Sheffield Half Marathon 2012 - 27 May 2012

gr8_bhu

My trainers are asics with a gel based sole. (Cant remember exact name, but I used to work with sports trainers so I know they are good for me).

Physios have been from work and a sports phyiso.

Sports physio has given me some exercises to do so I will be able to manage the pain before and after. Its just the repetative strain of running, especially on hard ground.

Thought as much with the shoes. Recent research has shown that the more structured, thus expensive, a shoe the higher the injury rate. ASICS are one of the worst offenders, don't get me wrong I have a pair of ASICS which I use sparingly and only when I feel my FEET need a little rest from road pounding. the more cushioned a shoe the harder you land and the harder the impact on your joints.

A year ago I stopped wearing overly cushioned shoes and now mainly run in adidas duramo 4s (£30 shoes) and haven't been injured in same time after suffering with calf and knee pain before.

Read this http://www.sportsscientists.com/2011/06/barefoot-running-shoes-and-born-to-run.html?m=1

I am not saying you need to go barefoot or all the way down to minimal shoes. Make your own mind up.

Bear in mind I run between 50-70miles per week over 6-10runs (twice a day 3times a week) depending on whether I am training for a race or just ticking over so if anyone is over pounding its me. But as I said I am pretty much uninjured in over a year.

You run towards Forgemasters having seen the Stadium over on your right, and slowly realising you've run right past it! Then you veer right down to the Don and face your final uphill section before another sharp right - and the Stadium's in front of you. Almost there.

Then you run right past it again, only right beside it this time. Sharp turn left and your heading for the gate you came out of at the start. Oh no, you don't go in there, another left turn and you run past the Stadium again on the opposite side. How many more ways can we avoid the finish, you think to yourself.

At last, an entry gate and you can see the track. You go through - and find you're on the upper level and have to run all round the Stadium towards the finishing straight.

You think you're at the finish? Not quite. Down from the top and you think you're heading out of the Stadium again, then a sharp left and you're into the tunnel - and finally emerge onto the track.

YES, you've made it. The crowd's on it's feet, shouting and waving. The announcer picks out your name, number, costume or colour and eggs you on. Is there anything left in the tank for a final sprint? You bet there is........ cross the line, stagger to medal and goody bag collection. Drop!!!

Next year I'll do better, you say to yourself - or will it be never again?

Well seeing as I am at Wembley the day before, I might not be doing it at all! :hihi:

Thought as much with the shoes. Recent research has shown that the more structured, thus expensive, a shoe the higher the injury rate. ASICS are one of the worst offenders, don't get me wrong I have a pair of ASICS which I use sparingly and only when I feel my FEET need a little rest from road pounding. the more cushioned a shoe the harder you land and the harder the impact on your joints.

A year ago I stopped wearing overly cushioned shoes and now mainly run in adidas duramo 4s (£30 shoes) and haven't been injured in same time after suffering with calf and knee pain before.

Read this http://www.sportsscientists.com/2011/06/barefoot-running-shoes-and-born-to-run.html?m=1

I am not saying you need to go barefoot or all the way down to minimal shoes. Make your own mind up.

Interesting, I run in Saucony Stabile shoes, quite a firm shoe, not sure if I should try the Adidas ones you mention?

Interesting, I run in Saucony Stabile shoes, quite a firm shoe, not sure if I should try the Adidas ones you mention?

Don't let the shoe makers fool you. Name, price, looks don't matter. Combination of most comfortable sock and shoe is very personal.

My old pair of trainers are still comfortable enough for a run, but now too thin and worn out for Sunday. My newest running shoes aren't sufficiently worn in to risk such a distance. Trusty old Saucony Trigon 4 it will be, combined with a favourite pair of socks.

But if I had to, I could probably do it just as well in a nice comfortable pair of black Padders leather shoes!

Archived