Cheap beer killing pub trade

Carling at 20 cans for a tenner, if you want your beer brewed with broken biscuits and old bus tickets then be my guest.

I prefer my beer with a bit of flavour. Sheffield has some wonderful micro breweries that produce beer not Eurofizz!! These Micros are constantly winning national awards for the quality of the beers that they produce

Have a go on Bradfield Farmers Blonde or Abbeydale moonshine, then come back to me and say that they are expensive. Makes the fizzy yellow wife beater stuff look rubbish

That’s like comparing chalk and cheese, what have locally brewed beers got to do with lager and a cheap tasteless lager at that.

20 cans of carling for only a tenner at asda,and people wonder why the good old fashioned pub is on its last legs,if the brewery's were as generous with publicans then maybe we wouldnt see so many decent pubs in sheffield closed down

How many pounds worth of goods does the checkout person at Asda ring up on a shift and how does that compare to the takings of a barsteward in your local pub?

Asda might not make much profit on beer, but do you really think that everything they sell is sold at the same mark-up? I don't.

How much profit does the landlord at your local pub make on the Deli counter, bread, fresh fruit and veg?

How much do you pay to have your bins emptied? - How does that compare with what the landlord at your local pays?

When you turn on the radio/your CD player/ other music system at home, how much do you pay to 'performing rights'?

(AFAIK; if a pub turns the radio on that will cost them about £60 [or more!] a week.)

My 'beverage of choice' here is "Diet coke, no ice". It costs £2.50. My wife drinks "Gin and tonic, with ice." It costs £2.50.

Grossly overpriced (I can buy 1.75 litres of gin for a tenner) but somebody has to pay the barsteward and somebody has to pay to keep the place running.

It's a matter of choice, really. I can go to the pub club, pay the operators an extortionally high price (and pay the barsteward - a bolshy little ******* - an automatic 15% tip) - or I can have people around to my house one night, get them ****** for a bout a fiver a head and go around to there's the next week.

I'm sure you could do the same. If pubs don't work (and they are being priced out of existence) then there is surely no reason why people could not form their own 'social network' - one in the real world - and enjoy each others' company on private premises?

I'm sure you could do the same. If pubs don't work (and they are being priced out of existence) then there is surely no reason why people could not form their own 'social network' - one in the real world - and enjoy each others' company on private premises?

That’s all well and good but then you open up a whole new can of worms ………. People playing loud music until 3am ……….. swearing and abusive BBQ`s ****-ups in postage stamp size gardens, under age unsupervised drinking.

I was pulled a pint by my local MP yesterday

The former Pubs Minister will be behind the bar at the George and Dragon in Wentworth next Friday ( yesterday ) as part of an initiative by the All-Party Parliamentary Beer Group, of which he is a member.

The drive aims to help MPs gain a greater understanding of the pub trade and to promote the pub as the hub of the community

That’s all well and good but then you open up a whole new can of worms ………. People playing loud music until 3am ……….. swearing and abusive BBQ`s ****-ups in postage stamp size gardens, under age unsupervised drinking.

Are your friends that bad?

The people I invite around to my house aren't going to stay there until 3am and they aren't going to play loud music, either (I might, but the neighbours would be there too.)

The real point of my post is that it isn't the availability of cheaper beer elsewhere which is killing pubs, but the cost which the pubs incur.

I started going to pubs about 50 years ago (with my Dad on Sundays.) I got the froth . and a bit more - off his pint.

Beer was cheap, there was nowhere else to buy beer and pubs were

where people went.

The people I invite around to mine are my friends. I don't invite the crapheads and tossers I might find in a pub, I invite my friends. We go to their houses for a drink, they come to ours. - I'm going to expand that! I want people to come to my house to eat (at no cost) [i'm an accomplished chef. Most of the food commercially available her isn't(IMO) worth eating - let alone paying for.]

If there's a pub which works for you (where the food is good and the prices are reasonable) go there, use it and keep it going.

(Please tell me where it is so I can find it too.)

If not - if you can't find a decent deal in the local area - Make your own.

Pubs have been around for a long while, but people preceded pubs by thousands of years.

You could always eat and drink with your friends.

If a pub closes through lack of trade then it's the pub/breweries fault.

Look at places like the Hallamshire House, The Blake, Walkley Cottage etc.

Always rammed. Good beer, good atmosphere. If you're quiet, then your pub either has naff beer, too expensive or it's a horrible place to be.

Look at the Nags head, it looks like it's been pulled straight out of the 60's. Yet they serve Bradfield beers at £1.95 a pint, and busy.

The only pubs that will be affected by the smoking ban are usually the ones in the poorer areas where the majority of people smoke.

I started going to pubs about 50 years ago (with my Dad on Sundays.) I got the froth . and a bit more - off his pint.

Beer was cheap, there was nowhere else to buy beer and pubs were

where people went.

Don’t forget a bag a crisps with the little blue bag in it and playing the old used bingo tickets.

Archived