Cheap beer killing pub trade

nothing to do with cheap beer , carling is carling it originates from the same company . Whats killing the pub is the greed shown by the pubchain owners . Tried it with the biggest chain out there , if you made money the deals change.

Just as a matter of interest why are coffee shops springing up all over the place? They are subject to the same smoking ban as pubs, charge £3 for a 50p cup of coffee and you can buy the same coffee in the supermarket for a few pence?

I think the fact is that pubs aren't closing, or should I say they are being replaced. There are good pubs that are packed out. There are duff ones that sell crap beer and mass produced fizz. It is the duff ones that are being put out of business but their trade is being transfered to a mass of new pubs that are being established in old banks, swimming pools, warehouses, even old breweries and dentist's surgeries.

This is just another ill research thread started by someone who walks around wearing blinckers.

20 cans of carling for only a tenner at asda,and people wonder why the good old fashioned pub is on its last legs,if the brewery's were as generous with publicans then maybe we wouldnt see so many decent pubs in sheffield closed down

That's just a sympton and not the cause so it's incorrect to say that. If you ask why people are having to buy beer from the supermarket you might a more accurate result.

Supermarket beer is not cheap.

£10 for 20 cans, presumably 440ml (I've even seen them trying to sell it in 330ml cans - What happened to the pint, the old 568ml!)

20% VAT @ £1.66.

20 (440ml) cans for £8.33 = 8.8Litres (just shy of two gallon)

£18.57 DUTY per hectolitre per 1%percent alcohol

So at 4.1% for 8.8 litres were talkin £6.70 DUTY

Shouldn't be no more than 10p per can!

Bloody rip off, government taxing beer to death. It's religious discrimination I tell thee.

Just as a matter of interest why are coffee shops springing up all over the place? They are subject to the same smoking ban as pubs, charge £3 for a 50p cup of coffee and you can buy the same coffee in the supermarket for a few pence?

I think the fact is that pubs aren't closing, or should I say they are being replaced. There are good pubs that are packed out. There are duff ones that sell crap beer and mass produced fizz. It is the duff ones that are being put out of business but their trade is being transfered to a mass of new pubs that are being established in old banks, swimming pools, warehouses, even old breweries and dentist's surgeries.

This is just another ill research thread started by someone who walks around wearing blinckers.

And there we have it ………..well said.

Thatchers government ruined the pub trade over 20 years ago with the monopolies and mergers law,the pub trade has never been the same since,

This is true. 20 years ago you could go into a pub in Sheffield and have a choice of Tetleys, Wards, Stones or Whitbread. They was usually only one mediocre draught beer available in most pubs along with the same lager as the pub down the street.

Now when I go into my local I'm confronted with a rack or 12 handpumps and a dazzling choice of other beers.

It is absolutely disgraceful that I have to spend so long sampling the delights on offer before I buy my pint. Before the change I knew before I walked in that I was about to get a pint of bland beer. Now I need to select which is best.

I think at any one time there are around 200 different hand pulled beers on sale in Sheffield, where as 20 years ago it was probably 6. The consumer has been badly let down indeed. NOT

Wards and Stones were not bland beers,they were proper brewed beers brewed in Sheffield, most of the beers brewed now are brewed in Burton on Trent and are a nothing like the original beers, you could go in any working mans club and get a descent full pint of drought beer,if you went in a Wards pub that is what you got a pint of Wards, if you did not like Wards you went in a Stones pub or a Tetleys pub,now days you go in a pub and its a mix of strange gungle juice beers that taste like god knows what, that is why bottle beers are so popular,regular drinkers like to stick to there favorite kind of drink and they don't like change,granted there is a lot of beer fans who like trying different types of beers,but the majority of people when they go out they like a descent pint of lager or beer and they stick to that,its simple why people go to supermarkets its cheap its a regular taste and that is not what you get when you go in a pub now,

Archived