Hard times? What hard times?

i'm on the dole and get drunk every day.

I think I'm the one who's really winning.

I'm not so sure. I can see it being workable with the old 11-2, 5-10.30 shift pattern of old but since pubs now operate an all day shift do you not find it eats into your social life?

Has anyone been blaming the hard working?

What is not mentioned by the OP is that a lot of hard working people who have tried to do the right thing have been hit terribly by the recession.

Furthermore, if, as Tony suggests, they had followed his lead and retrained in computers, Tony would probably be unemployed or on minimum wage now.

And BTW Tony, you are wrong to presume I motivated by bitterness. My own business has kept ticking over nicely, apart from a dip in the first year of the recession.

A few years ago, whilst lots of you were out getting 100%+ mortgages, I decided I needed a career change.

I had some skills with computers but realised that to gain employment in this field I needed the paper to prove it. I took a course at college and gained that important piece of paper.

I quickly realised the next stumbling block was experience. I decided to offer my services for less than the advertised salary. This tactic worked.

After 3 years working my way up and several large pay rises later I'm happy to say this credit crunch and talk of hard times hasn't hit me one bit.

I'm more financially sound now than ever.

To use a couple of cliches " Pride comes before a fall "

and "there but for the grace of god"

This does sound rather like gloating.

Years ago I worked at a night shelter for homeless men.Many had very good jobs and what they thought were secure life styles.It doesn't take much to completely change your fortunes.

A few years ago, whilst lots of you were out getting 100%+ mortgages, I decided I needed a career change.

I had some skills with computers but realised that to gain employment in this field I needed the paper to prove it. I took a course at college and gained that important piece of paper.

I quickly realised the next stumbling block was experience. I decided to offer my services for less than the advertised salary. This tactic worked.

After 3 years working my way up and several large pay rises later I'm happy to say this credit crunch and talk of hard times hasn't hit me one bit.

I'm more financially sound now than ever.

Spoken like a true tory bullyboy ... me me me !!

I'm rather disappointed (but not surprised) by the amount of people that think I'm gloating. If I bragged about the pay you could accuse me of that but I didn't.

I came on here to give anecdotal evidence that times really aren't that bad if you move with them and keep yourself dynamic. If you think things will get better for you by maintaining the status quo then in this current economic crisis you will be disappointed.

All I have proved is that you don't have to spend thousands or recieve hand outs or hand ups to get on in this world. It just takes determination and a plan.

My goal was to have done the career change before the Olympics. I thought if they can organize an olympics then in the same amount of time I can change my career for the better.

I did it well before the due date and well under budget.

I urge you to go for it.

I'm rather disappointed (but not surprised) by the amount of people that think I'm gloating. If I bragged about the pay you could accuse me of that but I didn't.

I came on here to give anecdotal evidence that times really aren't that bad if you move with them and keep yourself dynamic. If you think things will get better for you by maintaining the status quo then in this current economic crisis you will be disappointed.

All I have proved is that you don't have to spend thousands or recieve hand outs or hand ups to get on in this world. It just takes determination and a plan.

My goal was to have done the career change before the Olympics. I thought if they can organize an olympics then in the same amount of time I can change my career for the better.

I did it well before the due date and well under budget.

I urge you to go for it.

So funny!! Anyhooooo,

As you are obviously trying to extend your privates with your ego sweetpea, I was just wondering if you were willing to disclose your income, and how you happened to make the money that you enjoy so much.

After all It may be helpful to us lesser mortals ..............:)

If you see sharing experience as gloating I'm not going to waste time trying to convince you otherwise.

Like I said' if I wanted to gloat I would mention the salary and perks.

Don't want to bust your bubble but IT jobs are not good, in fact, the industry is overstaffed.

Archived