Thatcher the Milk Snatcher.

You are looking at it from a 2011 perspective, when she abolished free school milk working class people were a lot poorer, and as far as I can recall didn't have satelite TV, mobile phones and contracts. twenty park drive and a pint of beer were for many the only pleasures in a then quite grim world.

My father was a miner with four kids, we didn’t do without mink, I was always getting told off for opening all the bottles so I could put the creamy bit on my cornflakes.

We didn't need free milk at school because we had it at home.

It’s national and provides a service to the nation and in my opinion the supply of food is about as important as you can get. So I ask again what services are you talking about and why do you think the government can run them better that the private sector?

You are being silly ……. go on admit it, you know where I am coming from.

Gas, electric and water are all basic requirements that should be under government control ………. there are those that would add others like a national rail network, although I have never heard of a supermarket being referred to as a national service ………. well not until you tried to. :hihi:

Ah!, I see.

The Miners Strike was nothing to do with Thatcher then?:huh:

It was all orchestrated by a Labour Government years earlier.

It all makes sense now. not.:rolleyes:

Forget the mines for a moment ..what do you think about the fact that Labour stopped school milk before Thatcher did..?

Forget the mines for a moment ..what do you think about the fact that Labour stopped school milk before Thatcher did..?

I dont know if they did, I seem to remember we stopped getting it when I was about 14, so that would tally with the Wilson Government.

I think the Juniors and Infants still got the milk though

Dont forget, by the mid sixties times had changed a lot.

Other benefits had been brought in to help families, and we were a lot more affluent than back in the 40's and 50's.

Food was of a far better quality, and was easily available.

Rickets was unheard of, but its evidence in the older people was all around

It was to combat horrible ailments like that, that the free milk was intoduced in the first place.

God forbid we should ever return to those times.

You are being silly ……. go on admit it, you know where I am coming from.

Gas, electric and water are all basic requirements that should be under government control ………. there are those that would add others like a national rail network, although I have never heard of a supermarket being referred to as a national service ………. well not until you tried to. :hihi:

They are less important than food, so why should they be nationalised and not the supply of food. Why do you think these services should be natioalised?

Archived