Thatcher the Milk Snatcher.

You are being silly ……. go on admit it, you know where I am coming from.

Gas, electric and water are all basic requirements that should be under government control ………. there are those that would add others like a national rail network, although I have never heard of a supermarket being referred to as a national service ………. well not until you tried to. :hihi:

I would agree, but this thread is about the evil Thatcher stealing Milk from the poor under-privileged children of the 80's.

My father was a miner with four kids, we didn’t do without mink, I was always getting told off for opening all the bottles so I could put the creamy bit on my cornflakes.

We didn't need free milk at school because we had it at home.

You, and your family members must have been amongst the lucky ones, Mr Smith.

I know of children for whom their school dinner was their only decent meal. I remember one little girl in my stepson's class at school who wore her older brother's football shorts as knickers, and whose shoes were a pair of Wellington boots with the top part cut off, to look like shoes. This child was always hungry, the poor little mite, and she was filthy-dirty, despite there being unlimited hot water "on tap" (No pun intended) through the flats' district heating scheme at the time.

This from the Beeb

"Harold Wilson's Labour government stopped free milk for secondary school pupils in 1968. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/june/15/newsid_4486000/4486571.stm

Secondary school pupils would not be in as much need of the specific nutrients provided by the milk as the primary school children.

My father was a miner with four kids, we didn’t do without mink, I was always getting told off for opening all the bottles so I could put the creamy bit on my cornflakes.

We didn't need free milk at school because we had it at home.

Cor,you lot were well off weren't you? :)

Secondary school pupils would not be in as much need of the specific nutrients provided by the milk as the primary school children.

Didn't Labour remove it from 5,6 and 7 year olds in 74-79? Genuine enquiry...

Thatcher took it from 7-11 year olds but I think Labour were to blame for the rest..

Archived