Thatcher the Milk Snatcher.

Everything has always had a price. Do you think people worked for free before Thatcher?

Probably that's where we differ.

Assisting the less able and poorer sections of society are part of the duties of a civilised

nation.

I suppose I ought to start charging for being a blood donor.

Probably that's where we differ.

Assisting the less able and poorer sections of society are part of the duties of a civilised

nation.

I suppose I ought to start charging for being a blood donor.

Nah- your supposed to give it for free to some entrepreneur who will then sell it on at a profit.

(thanks for giving the blood btw).

no ones energy bills have decreased solely due to most energy being pegged to oil. we are continually told the price reflects it rarity but oil companies miraculously fild new reserves as soon as one runs out.

Doesn't that rather defeat the object of closing our mines to import coal more cheaply? Who then exactly is benefitting from this cheap import?

It's not the bill payers for sure

Doesn't that rather defeat the object of closing our mines to import coal more cheaply? Who then exactly is benefitting from this cheap import?

It's not the bill payers for sure

its down to the markets. if you can buy coal in the UK for more than it costs to import it from elsewhere, why buy UK coal? this makes the industry inefficient and costs the tax payer to prop them up. Its the same with most of our industry. we out price ourselves from the market for the high volume products. I have family who work in engineering, one of the sectors that's being destroyed by places like India and China taking the work. they only get very high quality work now as all the mass produced work goes abroad.

Just heard on the news this morning that the energy companies are under investigation for operating a cartel.

No surprise there then. The trouble is that the people in power are probably up to their necks in involvement with it and reaping the money in off struggling families and old people.

How do you figure that out? The miners were earning £500 a week in the early 80s. The only reason fuel was cheap was because of massive subsidies.
Steady, you'll be reported and probably banned for posting something which justifies and explains the self-destruction of the mining industry at the hands of militant unions that had cornered themselves into an unsustainable situation with grossly overpaid miners and overpriced coal.

Much easier just to let people blame the PM who was in power when the mining bubble burst and had to deal with the unions. Venting some blame away from the unons makes them feel so much better, especially when they can double it up with class envy. "Them 'n' us" blinkers remain firmly affixed in the Labour heartlands.

Archived