Can you explain why this happened?

Ok, Friday night, we had a power cut, which lasted about 1hr and half. So, 4 of us sat round a glass table in the living room, 3 candles lit, sat talking. On the table i have 2 very thick glass square tea light holders, there was nothing in them and they werent near any heat or anything, anyway, all of a sudden 1 of them just cracked, almost in half but not quite and the room went really cold, we all felt it, the tea light holder had an almost clean cut down it. Can anyone explain why this would have happened or how? :help:

The glass had a flaw causing the holder to be unstable. Some change in the environment - perhaps a vibration from a passing car - caused the glass to fracture at that flaw. You noticed the break, thought it was a bit spooky, and so felt the usual response to something you think is a bit spooky: you felt scared, a shiver went down your spine and you felt a bit cold.

Either that or ghosts. For a small fee, I'll send my friend the exorcist round to bless the house. Holy water is extra. Plus VAT.

The glass had a flaw causing the holder to be unstable. Some change in the environment - perhaps a vibration from a passing car - caused the glass to fracture at that flaw. You noticed the break, thought it was a bit spooky, and so felt the usual response to something you think is a bit spooky: you felt scared, a shiver went down your spine and you felt a bit cold.

Either that or ghosts. For a small fee, I'll send my friend the exorcist round to bless the house. Holy water is extra. Plus VAT.

No, the break happened in front of us, we heard it happen, and the shiver wasnt down the spine, it was around my legs, and my son said down his back :o. Im not saying it was anything supernatural, thats why i asked for some reasonable explanations :D Just to add, we live on a cul de sac, and there was no traffic on the road or any noise at all, it was really quiet.

Or perhaps the drop in temperature brought on by the power cut and lack of heating in the house.

Archived