Being taken to court for money not yet owed?

Karis

The thing is, if you let it go to Court, they'll slap on 60+ quid's worth of charges for absolutely nothing.

The council will have to pay that not you as they should have checked their records. Go to citizens advice, it's free, presume you have proof of payment or bank statement

The thing is, if you let it go to Court, they'll slap on 60+ quid's worth of charges for absolutely nothing.

do not worry about it i have done it twice when a bit behind with business rates, they will not put you in court unless you refuse to pay if you go to the court house you will sort it in 5 mins with a council official i assure you, although you should be able to sort it over the phone if you are in front unless you have ignored previous reminders. they usually say if the amount owing is paid before the end of the financail year they waive any fees they supposedly incurred.

as for court judgements it would have to go way way further along the line to get to that stage. hope it helps

its all done hush hush in a side room

Only if you go through the courts' mediation procedure.

But you won't have to pay 'em if you win (which you should do - all things being equal).

Only if you go through the courts' mediation procedure.

But you won't have to pay 'em if you win (which you should do - all things being equal).

never heard of that, i just spoke to council officials, all they actually do is apply for a "liability" order which basically means you are liable to pay the rates on time within the financial year, the only time costs come into it is if you default on what you arranged after the financial year.

do not worry about it i have done it twice when a bit behind with business rates, they will not put you in court unless you refuse to pay if you go to the court house you will sort it in 5 mins with a council official i assure you, although you should be able to sort it over the phone if you are in front unless you have ignored previous reminders. they usually say if the amount owing is paid before the end of the financail year they waive any fees they supposedly incurred.

as for court judgements it would have to go way way further along the line to get to that stage. hope it helps

They are not in arrears they are in front but council system doesn't account for anythng out of the norm, bless it:D:D

I certainly am :)

I've paid regularly up until recently, and there's still a good 3 months left to pay for this year.

Although they do say they expect payments by Direct Debit or it's all got to be paid up front. The letter says 'As you've failed to make monthly payments, you have lost the right to pay in installments...'

Strictly according to the council rules, you might actually be in the wrong! Their terms for letting you pay by direct debit are that you pay each instalment when it falls due; if you've paid some instalments early, and then paid nothing for a couple of months, you might have broken the terms.

Even so, council rules are one thing but courts are quite another. There is no way on earth that any court is going to pass judgment against you because you made payments too early. The worst thing that can happen is that you have to waste a morning going to court to see the council lawyer get laughed at; if you want to avoid that, try to sort it out with the council first.

Strictly according to the council rules, you might actually be in the wrong! Their terms for letting you pay by direct debit are that you pay each instalment when it falls due; if you've paid some instalments early, and then paid nothing for a couple of months, you might have broken the terms.

Even so, council rules are one thing but courts are quite another. There is no way on earth that any court is going to pass judgment against you because you made payments too early. The worst thing that can happen is that you have to waste a morning going to court to see the council lawyer get laughed at; if you want to avoid that, try to sort it out with the council first.

they arnt even council lawyers they are just council tax officers, i did ask to go into court once, you should have seen their faces they didnt know what to do:hihi: and it was quickly sorted out:hihi:

Archived