Peace and Respect

In the case of WW1, the sacrifice was most certainly not for our liberty. In my mind this event is still most associated with that war, although in recent years there has been an attempt to broaden it out. There is also far too much guff about the "fallen" which is so far from what really happens it is sickening.

How would you have those who have made the ultimate sacrifice referred to? As to it being mainly about WW1 it is not...it WAS when it started because succeeding wars had not yet happened but it is about remembering the dead of all conflicts since then as well.

I have spent the weekend with my grandchildren and we have spent a lot of time discussing war and remembrance and I am proud to think they will carry on remembering for the future.

How would you have those who have made the ultimate sacrifice referred to?

Well certainly not "ultimate sacrifice" for a start. I prefer words that express what really happened, such as killed, slaughtered, mutilated and such like. Those that came back were pretty much ignored, as all soldiers are until there is a war going on and then they are "heroes" for a year or so.

Archived