Tent on devonshire green in the 60s

Cookingfat

Yes remember it and took then girl friend to it.

Remember the roller coaster and if my memory serves me right they also showed a fighter plane could have been a spitfire diving straight at the screen.

Over 90% of the audience including moi ducked it was so life like that it seemed to fly right out of screen

Yes remember it and took then girl friend to it.

Remember the roller coaster and if my memory serves me right they also showed a fighter plane could have been a spitfire diving straight at the screen.

Over 90% of the audience including moi ducked it was so life like that it seemed to fly right out of screen

hiya i remember the big tent on the wreck called devonshire green the circus was chipperfields they had local men i remember, pulling the ropes to put it up, and in 1960 another tent was to house the fashion week show it was opend by hugh gaitskell the labour leader at that time my memory goes back to the early 40s when it was just a black shale patch from chester st ,eldon st,devonshire st, broomhall st, we used to play cricket opposite the grey horse pub on what was a strip that was once a lane but no houses or remains of any, i know we always called these sites " bombed buildings" but as i've said before i'm not 100% sure as in that district it was said a slum clearance was started in 1936 and it took until 1961 for it to get started properly, there were other wrecks around on wellington st,opposite and by side of wolstenholms,and in 1947 winter the council covered the said land with hundreds of lorry loads of snow collected from the roads in the bad winter, and it stayed there until early june .

I remember the fairgrounds and Chipperfields Circus being on Devonshire green.

When the circus came to 'town', on a sunday afternoon my nan used to take me to see the animals in their enclosures, other children would be there with their parents and you could buy a small white bag of 'little brown things' to feed the elephants.

Can't remember the name of the fairground that once came, but one did come and they had an high board diver outside the tent........ the diver had to dive into a small pool of water with the surface of the water covered in petrol and set alight.....diving platform was very high.......more than twice the height of Pond's Forge top board.

They also had a tent with a boxing ring in it and the fairground's champion would take on all-comers, if anyone was to beat him they would recieve a cash prize.

Anyone remember any of this ?

I remember the fairgrounds and Chipperfields Circus being on Devonshire green.

When the circus came to 'town', on a sunday afternoon my nan used to take me to see the animals in their enclosures, other children would be there with their parents and you could buy a small white bag of 'little brown things' to feed the elephants.

Can't remember the name of the fairground that once came, but one did come and they had an high board diver outside the tent........ the diver had to dive into a small pool of water with the surface of the water covered in petrol and set alight.....diving platform was very high.......more than twice the height of Pond's Forge top board.

They also had a tent with a boxing ring in it and the fairground's champion would take on all-comers, if anyone was to beat him they would recieve a cash prize.

Anyone remember any of this ?

hiya john habs i remember this funfair and the boxing tent i think it was as i remember set near the junction of broomhall and fitzwilliam streets, one of the boxers was i remember was eric ludlam, i knew anothers face but not his name ,later the circus had a problem getting rid of the manure they were offering free to take it.

When did this pub close?Can't say I've ever heard of it and I've got many old Sheffield pub books.

hiya ,i lived only 5 mins walk from the grey horse pub it was a pub i only went in twice the furniture in the front room with the darts board was i remember caste iron leg tables with marble tops.there were 22 pubs around the district in the 50s believe it or not , and i can name them all and where they were.

Archived