B&Q security checks

I worked for B&Q many years ago, and they always did random searches on customers and staff alike -the ball system is new though! It always stopped me from buying anything from them, even though I got staff discount... Not having anyone search me!

I've done with them now! I'm sure you have to reasonable suspicion before you search anyone and then it has to be done by a Police Officer or by an authorised Border Agency Staff member.

Sainsbury's use a similar system for staff. It's an electronic box, red and green light. That's to stop individuals being picked on unfairly. But I don't think they have the right to conduct a body search at random, they can only ask staff to turn out their pockets. The procedure for a body search is much more complicated and I'm not sure even that is legally enforceable.

I remember when (oh here we go....) I worked at Wilkinsons at Hillsborough (must be 20 yrs ago) and back then I remember being told that unless you are more than 100% confident that someone has pinched something, then you must not do anything. Basically mind your own business and let them get on with it!!!! WTF??? Don't know if things have changed since then.

I think the thing to do is simply refuse and walk out. If they try to detain you, this article may be relevant-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2000/sep/02/jobsandmoney

specifically this part-

Anyone who finds themselves faced with a false accusation of shoplifting should make it clear that they are not prepared to go anywhere with store staff unless they are formally arrested. There is, of course, no obligation on someone in this situation to prove their innocence.

&

That, though, is not the view the law takes. Any one making a "citizen's arrest", which is what Somerfield did, has to get it absolutely right. Even making a reasonable mistake about someone's guilt does not provide an excuse if a person is wrongly arrested - or falsely imprisoned, as it is legally known.

Archived