Partition England Scotland

What about Northern England going in with Scotland, and the Southerners going in with the EU of which they seem to have more of a more of a relationship with?

hold on, you unjustifiably attacked me for daring to identify the north as a people:

Never, ever, refer to my people in that language.

How dare you speak of the people of the north in that manner.

I imagine you speak of the people of the south in similar terms.

Divide to conquer it is called.

Split north from south, scot form english, and wales.

The smaller you can make your enemy, the easier it it is.

Dont ever fall for for these tricks.

Now you want to talk about the partitioning of England along the same lines.

how hypercritical can you get?

hold on, you unjustifiably attacked me for daring to identify the north as a people:

Now you want to talk about the partitioning of England along the same lines.

how hypercritical can you get?

Its alright when I do it.

For I am benevolent, and paternalistic.

I only want is best for my people.

Silvio and myself have much in common.:hihi:

It's more a political issue at the moment. Labour when in power obviously work hard to look after their core constituencies. Likewise the Tories. The problem is the core Tory areas already have built-in advantages. Even if Labour took an axe to them they would come through ok because of solid underlying economic strength. The same can't be said when it's the Tories wielding the axe. I think we might eventually be better served by detaching from the South. People will come to realise this as the north falls farther behind through deliberate policy. It will be made even clearer if Scotland breaks free and is seen to prosper once it is free of South England-centric policy. I think us in the north will come to see the benefits and will want the same.

But what you ask is a divide across one country not the separation of one from another, and if you remove the idiot fraternity who fixate on North hates South hates North, I can't see there being many takers.

But what you ask is a divide across one country not the separation of one from another, and if you remove the idiot fraternity who fixate on North hates South hates North, I can't see there being many takers.

There certainly wouldn't be many takers now but I'm thinking 10 maybe 20 years down the line with perhaps an entrenched Tory government systematically damaging the economy of the north. At that point we may face a scenario where we're sandwiched between a prosperous independent Scotland moving towards a Scandanavian-style social/economic model and a prosperous south that is clearly part of the rich core of Europe.

I think in that scenario if the north was lagging behind perhaps unfairly then serious questions would start to get asked. Would we look to the north, to the scottish model or try and hang off the coat tails of a south that didn't really care too much for the north and had no real need to with electoral victory all but locked in for the Tories. We would certainly want to avoid a situation like in Italy where the Lega Nord has regularly advocated the splitting of Italy to cut the prosperous north away from the poor south - remember it might not just be about us wanting to leave but also about the south wanting to get rid of us if we become a millstone.

The Canadian province of Quebec has a number of people who have advocated separation from the rest of Canada for 50 years or more. Quebec is a hundrefold more wealthy than northern England and Scotland combined in untapped natural resources but yet despite all that separation has never happenned and for very practical down to earth reasons and never will.

Also, what makes anyone think Scotland would go along with a union with northern England? Even if the day ever came that Scotland did separate the Scots parliament would very likely vote overwhelmingly to stay part of the European Union. Scots people dont waste time on foolish notions of affinity. They are canny by nature and know what side their bread is buttered on. That's why so many of them are succesful in life

I never yet knew a Scot who could be described as "thick"

The Canadian province of Quebec has a number of people who have advocated separation from the rest of Canada for 50 years or more. Quebec is a hundrefold more wealthy than northern England and Scotland combined in untapped natural resources but yet despite all that separation hs never happenned and for very practical down ro earth reasons and never will.

Also, what makes anyone think Scotland would go along with a union with northern England? Even if the day ever came that Scotland did separate the Scots parliament would very likely vote overwhelmingly to stay part of the European Union. Scots people dont waste time on foolish notions of affinity. They are canny by nature and know what side their bread is buttered on. That's why so many of them are succesful in life

Going back to the Lega Nord example as well as sometimes pushing for separation they have sometimes pushed equally hard for a federal model which gives the regions autonomy. That might serve us better than a separation.

It has always been a thing of mine.

I think we of the north, say above the Mersey Humber line should be a country apart.

We would have all the major estuaries and all the ports.

The majority of working people and skilled people live above that line

We have just been exploited by the the sotuherns upto now.

You couldn't be more wrong.

The majority of working people are below that line, the higher proportions of unemployed above it, and the North has been sustained by Southerners' tax contributions for decades.

Archived