Public Speaking- Any Tips?

to be honest, this was the option i was going to go with useing both shoot and product shots of my work and i was going to have it running whilst i talked...maybe ill think twice about that after all.

thanks so much for all your replies, there is some great advcie in there...i just hope i get the time to have lots of practice, its not long now!

x

Students will be very used to attending lectures with slides, so don't worry about them detracting from you at all.

If you can, get a friend to hear it first and give you feedback, or film yourself on a webcam or similar and watch it back..and speak more slowly than you would during a conversation.

Good luck!

Picture them all naked

Great idea. All those nubile young students, naked in your eyes, will negate the need for a microphone stand. Simply strap the mic to your erection.

Back to serious.

Loads of very good advice given so far.

You need to be alive and interesting. Involve the students from word go and make sure you keep your head high and establish eye contact with as many people as you can as you deliver your speech.

Bullet points are far better than prose and keep them on small cards with just two or three points on each card.

That way you don't get lost.

Your planned agenda isn't bad but I would start with a little about myself and how I went into a business.

You may also consider the idea of taking questions after each topic rather than at the end.

Sometimes I find that works better and keeps the students interested in you.

The single most important point is NERVES.

You don't have any or you"ll naff it up. Don't imagine them naked for fear of the aforementioned stonker, imagine their a bunch of your mates and your having a chat in the pub.

How did it go?

well, i thought it went pretty well...and the organisers were happy. i didnt notice any blank faces when i was talking! lol

Take some actual products and business cards with you to show them. You may make some sales while your there!

i had a stall prior to the talk and had a great day sales wise. i also used the opportunity to promote many of the events im doing in the next few weeks and a liberal dose of business cards ;)

x

• 2 months later...

STAGE FRIGHT is a terrible thing, I know because I've worked on stage. I've also worked has a voluntary speaker for the Woodland Trust.

You go out in front of your audience, your knees trembling, your mind in a whirlpool. Suddenly you notice them in the front row all staring at you. You speak;-

"Hello ladies and gentlemen....." CONGRATULATIONS, YOU'RE A STAR PERFORMER. Or at least that's how it will seem to you from here on. The knee trembling's stopped and your mind has gone into gear, you suddenly feel as though you've done Public Speaking a million times before.

Enjoy it, enjoy yourself, enjoy your audience, but above all let your audience enjoy YOU!

Best wishes for the future.

Archived