A Memory From My Childhood!!

old tup

I,ve just thought back to the time my paternal grandad used to take me as an infant Tup in the 50s to collect animal feed.We had a dray horse,a pony,pigs,geese,hens,rabbits and goats to feed so it was a daily chore.We used to go to a place at the bottom of Walkley Lane where the Pizza place place is now at the Holme Lane side of the bridge,I think its called Rivelin Terrace.To a youngster it was a wondrous place there were all sorts of sacks of feed and I can still smell the hay and oats,I can,t remember the name of the place maybe Hilsboro could suss it out.Another place that comes to mind,the horsemeat shop down Holme Lane what I recollect was the meat hung in the window with the bright yellow fat on it unlike beef fat which is white.I remember waiting in the queue and this old girl saying to the butcher[its not for us its for the dog!] yer right!.I,ve also forgotten the name on the door I wasn,t all that bothered as a youngster,also just popped in my head the doctors surgery near the tramsheds,our doctor Mr Mc,Fadden a nice man as I recall.Thats it the memory has shut down until next time,hopefully!:love::D

....I can,t remember the name of the place maybe Hilsboro could suss it out....
Well, yes - I think I've sussed it. It's actually "River Terrace" just past the bridge (here is a photo, courtesy of "Bing") and the 1942 Kelly's Directory shows "Thomas William Hinchliffe, hay and straw dealer" there. Thomas Hinchliffe turns up, then aged 48, in the 1911 census, living in Hawksley Avenue and described as a self-employed "hay, straw and corn dealer". He died in 1940, though the business evidently continued on River Terrace into the 1950s, as I also seem to remember it being there, though later on it must have moved to the other side of Holme Lane, as the 1968 and 1973 directories show "T.W. Hinchliffe, corn dealer, back of 22 Holme Lane" - this was behind Talbot's butchers shop, just before the old doctor's surgery. In this regard, could it have been Dr McPhail you were thinking of? I remember my grandma used to go to him, and always said what a good doctor he was - the 1942 directory shows "Norman McPhail, physician & surgeon" at No 24 Holme Lane. After he retired, the doctors Adamson and Appleby had this practice.

The 1942 directory shows "William Birkinshaw, horse meat butcher" at No 60 Holme Lane, just before the corner of Haden Street. I remember my dad saying that, apart from horsemeat having yellow fat, the more you chewed it the bigger it got..:o

Archived